pihrana...how are they...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by sweetriden76, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you can get some tetras there related to piranhas or you can get some silver dollars and through a plant in there and pretend its another fish

2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah, I dunno, maybe I'll hold off for awhile, and just spent the money on coral for the reef tank...I don't know anywhere other than my LFS that sells piranha, xeddyboi420x...might be tough finding one depending in regulations in your area

4. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

i had 3 in a 55 for about 2 years, kinda boring always hiding, get a small trigger instead, then get a bigger tank for him down the road....

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think you should get a arowana. get a red one, beautiful fish, you do need to get a permit from cites to own it legally.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Piranha are illegal in Ca.........

7. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

My brother and I had two that were only inch inch and a half when we first got them, and we put them in a 20 gallon. Mistake. They very very quickly took a liking to feeder goldfish. Expensive first off. Second the fish parts they leave in the tank make for insane chemical inbalances in the water, We NEVER could keep the water clear and clean becuase they are so messy.

On the other hand they are BA to watch eat becuase they are so vicious and tended to attack at the same time, each taking there own half. They died at about 6 to 7 inches. Id say from stress in the small tank.

Bad Idea IMO. One of my LFS had them and there over a foot long. Ugly as all hell.

8. Click Here!

9. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

would a little trigger be ok in a 12 gallon, I could set it up again quick since I have a lot of good live rock in my 46 gallon bowfront, but the problem is that I dont wanna put a trigger in my reef tank when he gets bigger, unless he would be ok with corals and inverts which I have hear 99% of the time the are NOT reef safe...hmmm...maybe I'll just leave it tore down, seems a waste having an empty tank, Im sure all of you know that feeling...

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I had 4 red belly pirhanas in my 55 before it became a SW tank.
    I had them for 4+ yrs since they were all the size of pennies.
    It's not much different than having a pacu, only I was being more cautious when cleaning the tank. I've never been bitten, but they tore up live food for sure.
    Also, the pacus I had before that got bigger 6+" in the 55.
    The red bellies never got bigger than 3-3.5" in the 55gal.
    They are prob the least aggressive.
    Golden and Black Belly pirhanas are dam nasty killing machines.
    A 1.5" golden will literally tear 30 feeder goldfish in half just for the hell of it, and only eat one of them - or parts of some of them.

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Forgot, they are illegal in CT too, so we took a road trip to Warwick, RI to pick them up.

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1, so that basically ends that hope for you.
    If you want something mean and nasty for a smaller tank, look into some of the various smaller types of african cichlids. Pretty cool fish and fairly easy