pihrana...how are they...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by sweetriden76, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 12 gallon nano cube sitting around, and was thinking about getting a single small red belly pirhana for it, they one I can get are only about 2-2.5 inches, If it gets to large for the tank I have no problem getting rid of it, but are they reasonably easy to care for, feeding? etc...I w as told they are tank raised and not as agressive as wild caught...also are they known to jump, I'd like to run it as an open top tank like my large reef tank...thanks in advance for any info

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Very skittish fish unless you are a potential meal. They will often scurry away from you and anyone passing the tank. IMO not good to have 1 in a 12 gallon tank.

4. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah, is there something else mean and nasty to put in there, I used to have a 75 gallon freshwater tank and miss the orange pike cichlid i had.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

as long as you have plenty of hiding spots in there he would do pretty good for a short period of time. 1 yr tops and then you would have to get rid of him

6. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Mean + Nasty hmmm.... Grab yourself 2 male betta's

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I have always been drawn to piranhas since I was a kid. Maybe I will set up a 55 one day for one!

8. Click Here!

9. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I have had 5 piranha in the past, would say that they grow relatively fast and depending on how much you feed it you might get a year and a half in that tank. You will have to do frequent water changes to remove all the waste that they put out, including fish parts. I never had one attempt to jump but they were also in a bigger tank. I would recommend not putting a piranha in that tank, maybe a blue ram cichlid. JMO

Dustin

10. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

where would you buy them? anybody know an online store that'll ship to CA?!

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Love the advice, where did you come from?? An old-time 3reefer that hasn't posted much?? I love it when some of the original 3reefers show up out of nowhere, hope you'll check back in more often!!!

12. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i agree i think i do anyways. you are refering to a blue german ram correct. nice fish. easy to breed as well.