Pics with my new dslr! Critique please!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Toallhisdoom, Mar 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Everything is blue because of your white balance on the camera. That changes how the sensor picks up on colors of light, say if a picture was taken under incandescent light it would look different than taken on a sunny day outside. These white balance modes are designed for different light settings. I always shoot reef tanks in a cloudy white balance mode. This is because clouds filter out alot of different colors of light which makes your shots look blue unless your white balance is compensating for it. Because of this, this setting picks up on blue light the most accurately. So shoot in "cloudy" white balance mode. Or a custom one thats better for blue light.

The reason why your auto settings are picking up on the light is because auto settings on your camera will change what white balance is being used. Give that a shot in manual and let us know how it goes.

Also, I generally try to shoot with a lower shutter speed, higher fstop on the aperture if possible. You will get a better depth of field that way. Heres some reading on that.

Introduction to Aperture - Digital Photography School

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

i always put it in manual mode and just play around with my shutter speed and ISO until I like the way the pic looks. I'll start with a low iso and bump it up when the image is bright enough. If you ISO is too high and your pics are grainy, you may have to sacrifice shutter speed to let in more light so you can lower your ISO down a notch. It also helps to have as much light on top of your aquarium, and black out all other lights in your house. I will even put a blanket over my lights to minimize light spill into the room. And make sure the glass is really clean.

But I loved your pictures and the hammer. what variety is that? Wall hammer?

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Ohh guess i have a lot of reading to do norg! Lol

Thanks for all the tips guys!

And I was told it is a pink wall...ing hammer! Lol

5. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

im lost! lol I think the pics are great! maybe its an untrained eye idk :)

6. FLfishGirl

FLfishGirl Fire Shrimp

Pictures look great!

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Really good start. Spend some time cropping. Cut out the bad or uninteresting parts of the pic until you are happy with it.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I love the pics. I need a DSLR :p

10. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I am pretty happy so far, for not knowing anything I feel like the pics are pretty decent! Have a lot to learn tho! This is fun!

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

For not knowing anything Id say you are doing very well. Lol it looks like you have an eye for it for sure. Now all that you have to do is expand on that. Even a basic understanding of how a camera works will really help you progress with the art. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. It really is a fun hobby, Im glad you picked up the camera man!

1 person likes this.
  12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

To be honest, I'm tempted to order one of these. It seems a lot cheaper than newer models and seems to take really nice pics. That is, when I get more money that isn't dedicated for my tank :p