Pics of our tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by hippychic, Jan 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Here are some pics of our first attempt at aquascaping our tank. We've only got the right side done, still working on the left side!

Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

don't be afraid to use some tuffa and dead reef rock.you can use the live rock to seed it and it will all look and function the same a yr from now.you can save alot of money and take less from the reefs that way.looks like the same premium figi i used in my tank.its good to arange it so you have good water circulation.what size tank is that?

4. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

We only have two shops in our town that sell live rock, so we don't have much choice in what we buy, just whatever they have to offer really! But if they get some cheaper live rock in then I might try it!

Our tank is 180L, its a 4 ft tank, oh and there's actually a powerhead hidden in the middle of that arrangement of rock. Eventually we want to build another mound on the other side and have a powerhead pointing towards the other powerhead. Do you think this will provide enough circulation?

5. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Here is a pic of the side view of the tank, we've made a structure out of the bottom of milk crates to sit the live rock on, so its not touching each other much, and theres plenty of space between the rocks, and spots for the fish to hide. You can also see where the powerhead is in this pic.

[​IMG]

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the live rock looks fine

7. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Looks good, Hey you could always order some rock online if you want to .::)

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Looks great!

You definitely need more rock...;)

Keep close eye on water flow.

Good luck.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I started with almost all base rock except for 1 LG and 3 small pieces of live rock from my LFS now you can hardly tell the difference between the two....

This was 10 weeks after I set it up..... this was taken on 11-04-07.

[​IMG]

this photo was from what I call the green stage! this was taken on 12-02-07

[​IMG]

Unfortunately due to my camera being broke I have no current full tank shots all I have it this close up of some new Ricordia's I got about 2 weeks ago.

The rock on the bottom was one of the Base rocks I had as was the one I the upper right corner of this shot. You can see how much darker the rocks are and how coralline is growing.

[​IMG]

Sorry some how this part got cut off when I posted!

It does not take long so you don't have to pay all that money for live rock, just a little goes along way it just takes awhlie longer.....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

dont forget we all have to start some were . It takes time to have a great looking tank or alot of money hehe but you will get their it looks loike you have made a good start.

Water flow/circulation is very important in a reef tank,
    in my 55gl 3ft I have 4 maxijet1200's P/Hs they are fitted with deflectors as well .they are cheap and do a great job, small too.
    ( they also are one of the prefered P/H for wave makers if you may choose to go that way in the future).
    OK got off track their a bit, but what I would suggest with your set up at the moment
    is to not send the stream of water dirrectly down the tank but bank it off the front glass.
    This way you will get more erratic flow in your and more spread instead of a liniar flow down the centre.IMO

heres a movie of tank with the powerheads and deflectors opperation with a wave maker.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-tank/video-befor-big-bubble-algae-clean-out-44450.html

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid