Pico pico pico!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SwimsWithFish, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

New idea:

Get my biocube all set up, upgrade 10g freshy to a 40gb, use old 10g as pico. Would take a while.

OR

Set up pico soon, let the 40gb be next years project.

I'm split! I really wanna set up the planted tank but at the same time... Pico....:( I'm thinking just start the pico in a month or two and then start saving for the 40gb and have it up around August.

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

If I were in your shoes buddy Id really focus on the biocube. Extending yourself over multiple projects can be very stressful, time consuming and expensive. I know once you get your biocube cycled and start adding corals you will be hooked and want more. Corals are not cheap unfortunately. Pico projects, unless done right, which also costs alot, are very time consuming for how small of a tank it is. I remember I couldnt leave my house for a day because I was too scared my ATO would fail. Which it often did. As for the 40 gallon breeder idea, thats great, but again, you are stringing yourself out a bit. Id give this biocube your all. Make it your pride and joy like I can tell it already is and in time you will have your own happy and healthy piece of the reef. Just my opinion but I remember being in your position when I was around 15-16 and I set up 5 tanks. Only one of those tanks remain today. I wish I would have just focused on one.

4. SwimsWithFish

Thank you for that norg. I think im going to do like you said and stick with my cube, but while doing that I'll be saving so I can get my freshy set up this summer.

5. SwimsWithFish

Plus this pico thing is only going to cost me like 40$ so I could squares it in at some point. But until my cube is sexy and filled with corals, no pico or fresh.

6. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

No problem man. You will be happy you stuck with just the cube for a while. Especially once you have new lights and its packed with corals. Were you planning on adding a sump? Maybe that topic already came up, but I forgot if it did or not. lol

7. SwimsWithFish

Lol well I've been thinking about it. It's not a top priority but it will happen. Upgrades will go like this..

1. Skimmer
    2. LEDs
    3. Sump

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

You are using a HOB skimmer then? Have you considered adding a sump first and then using an in sump skimmer instead?

10. SwimsWithFish

That's alright. It will be an aquaticlife 115 in the first chamber. I'll move it to the sump when I get it.

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Pico reefs are definitely nice. I have a 5g that's coming along. Have fun with it!

Sent from my zombie ninja pirate.

12. SwimsWithFish