Pico pico pico!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SwimsWithFish, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

IMO now that I got a pre-established 12 gallon nano my planted tank was boring. So much green and nearly no movement.

2. Click Here!

3. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Shrimp are fun, have anywhere between 150-200 shrimp in my twenty. They are my food, because I know what they eat and know where they come from.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Yeah there cool. I'm sure I'll start a pico reef sometime but not now. Maybe in a few months.

5. SwimsWithFish

Alright so thanks to a financial boost from my parents to get my biocube going this will be happening sooner than expected! Probably march I'd say. Here's the new plan....

I'll be using this stand[​IMG]

On top of the stand I'll have a 5.5 gallon glass tank with the 14w compact florescent light shown earlier.
    On the bottom part will sit a 5.5 gallon sump. For an overflow I'll just drill the tank and stick a 1/2" bulkhead on there with egg crate to keep stuff out of the sump. Will that work? The sump will go like this
    1st chamber: live rock
    2nd chamber: chaeto and mangroves
    3rd chamber: a very small frag rack for propagation.
    4th chamber: return

And if i can I'll try to sneak in a top fin 10 HOB filter. The heater will also be housed in the sump.

Livestock:

Coral: zoanthids galore!

Fish: a VERY small goby. Probably a
    clown or red stripe. The only reason I'll have a fish in there is to keep my beneficial bacteria population stable.

I plan on doing a 50% water change weekly or as needed.

Can't wait to get this going! Any thoughts?

6. SwimsWithFish

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Looks like you've definitely got a good plan outlined and good on you for doing your research. I'm having a blast with my 5g pico. I have one fish (purely accidental...will be removing since the person that was supposed to pick it up did not), lots of zoas, an acan and a few other odds ad ends. I have an order in for some sexy shrimp, ricordea and some micro brittle stars to add to the livestock and I'll be calling it quits. Might replace this darned clown with a hectors goby or something similarly tiny.

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

10. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i think you may want to diy a stand with a cabinet, i had my 5 gallon on my dresser for a long time but i couldnt possibly hide all the wires. the cabinet helps alot with that.

11. SwimsWithFish

[​IMG]
    Alright. I've got another small night stand that has a cabinet that I could use.

12. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

That looks good. It's just really hard for a tank to look good and clean when wires are hanging out and you can see all the fish food and supplements.