Pickupman66's Simplified, downsized 66 gallon SCA Rimless

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pickupman66, Jul 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

So, as promised, here is a very simplified Build thread on my simplified 66 gallon reef tank for my friends here at 3reef. While My Local reef club is part of another reef forum (not a CENTRAL one) I wanted to share this with you guys because well..yall are awesome.

this is me previously.
    http://www.3reef.com/threads/pickupman66s-180-gal-glass-box-update-for-july-2013.92475/

why did we have to change, several reasons. mainly my time to maintain the tank and well.. time to enjoy it. work has been crazy busy and I just dont have the time nor the drive to deal with my big tank. I lost all my sps. every single one. gone. no clue why still.

anyways, i put my tank up for sale and it sold rather quickly. didnt get my full asking price but it was close. My large tangs went to a 600 gallon system along with the yellow pyramid butterfly and the three super ugly cardinals. the Melanarus went with the talk and I kept the CBB, 6 line, clowns and the two chromis.

so, what did we get? well, you have read y title so you know. a 66 gallon SC Aquarium. ordered basically from Amazon. (but ended up calling company direct to verify shipping time) I ordered the tank on a wednesday and it arrived the following Tuesday.

Equipment listing
    • Tank: SCAquariums 66 gallon tank. 3 sided Starfire glass. 32x24x20 Reef ready
    • Sump: 40 Breeder Custom- with integrated Fuge
    • Skimmer: SCA-302 Sc Aquariums. (bubble magus knockoff I guess).
    • Return: Jebao DC6000
    • Circulation: 2x Jebao WP40 with dual controller- Synced wave.
    • Lighting: 1x Reef Radiance DM-132 - 2x Chinese blue/white LED(55 led total) Everything is Bridgeluxe
    • Everything controlled by my Reefkeeper.
    • Stand: Custom built by ME 39 wide x 33 deep x 36 tall

custom Stand being built
    [​IMG]
    sump is a tight fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for the lights, I used a Reef Radiance DM-132 that I had over a frag system, and then bought a used pair of chinese bue/white LED. they are 55 leds each.

made a custom rack like i used on my DM132
    [​IMG]

if you go Rimless, then you gotta hand the lights. testin them in the garage to see if they are even. YAY!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Look what arrived
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Water
    [​IMG]
    Salt
    [​IMG]
    plumbing. SUPER SIMPLE. I may add in a manifold to use a reactor... Maybe.
    [​IMG]

Rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Relax
    [​IMG]

scaquariums likes this.
  4. Pickupman66

Let me stop here and say this. Ordered the tank and salt on 6/25, Skimmer on 6/26. Sump and china leds purchased on the 28th I built the stand on 6/29. tank arrived on 7/1, some fish were added that night (clowns and the Cbb). Old tank was GONE on 7/2 at 4pm. This was a record fast build. Fortunately, i had the return pump, WP40s and the Reef radiance. I put my old controller on it the evening of the 2nd.

Corals. already looking happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1.0reef and Billme like this.
  5. Pickupman66

for grins, here is the old fish room. sans tank.
    [​IMG]
    and now for some glamour shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1.0reef, Billme and jkat21 like this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Lindsey, I am seriously jealous.

Damn it so nice. The arch with the Chromis is perfect.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Wow, looks great!!

How do you like the sync'd wp40s?

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Zesty I bought the pair of wp40s form Fishstreet RIGHT after they came out. they were on single controllers and you adjusted the speed by using a variable INPUT! they were on my 180 and I never could ge them synced up so I ran one in else and one in wave. loved it! then I ordered a DC6000 for my closed loop and on a whim I ordered the new and improved Dual controller.

now I really like them. I could do a standing wave on my 180. rock the water a good 2 inches. now that I have them on my 66, I have them synced with one on 1/2 (4 lights) and the other on 3 lights (it has a slight hum and always has). i get a good bounce in my anemones this way, but the torch at the top is in a pretty laminar area. even when they are waving, there is alot of good flow in the tank. I have them on about a 1.5 second delay.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Love that tank. Looks great. You did a great job with the rock layout. That makes the whole tank.

11. Pickupman66

Thanks Matt. I was a little nervous about the right side of the tank looking like a pile of rocks. But with the way it ended up there are several outcroppings at the fish like to hide underneath. What is really cool is the top rocks are only two pieces. One that forms the arch covered in zoas and the other that I occupies the entire rest of the tank. All off the rocks on the bottom are actually resting on pieces of three eighths inch acrylic plate. This way no prob touches the glass atall.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I really like the aquascape. Great little downsize! I can't believe the acans aren't tempting you CCB