Pickupman66's 180 gal Glass box - Update for July 2013

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pickupman66, Jul 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Im updating this first post on July 2012. The tank is built, just time to make it grow.

The tank is a Standard sized Glass Cages 180 with Starfire glass on the Front and sides. it Measures 24x24x72. and came with a Glass cages stand and hood. It was a new to me tank that I aquired from a friend about 12 hours away. it was quite a chore to tear it down, extract it from his house and get it back to Tennessee.

Here is the tank loaded and ready for transport. the rock is under the tarp in a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub (will be the sump) in the back of the truck along with all the equipment.

[​IMG]

Tank cleaned and in the house.

[​IMG]

I pained the back black. Looks Awesome.

Rock in the sump. Half of this is the rock that came with the tank. it was running when I got it. the other half is my rock that was dried for 2 months and then scrubbed. it went back in this past weekend so the bacteria can get back on it. there is still some purple on the new rocks. hopefully that will grow when put in the tank. otherwise ill have to find a way to introduce it into the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Calcium reactor I got.
    [​IMG]

Pumps
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Got to get the plumbing started yesterday evening. what you are looking at are the closed loop supply and returns (angled pipes) both done in 1 1/2" pipe and the overflows ( the 45's and 90's are not glued) in 1 1/2" pipe. I forgot to purchase the 1" connectors I need to connect the tank returns, but the setup looks the same except at the 90's I will reduce down to 1" from 1 1/2". I went this route as that is what is there. at the 4 ways, I used a sewer junction because it made it very easy to convert down from the main 2" lines I am running from the sump. I also didnt get any of my 2" 45's or 90's. I will have to have these to get the runs into an air conditioning vent sized hole that will be cut thru the floor of the stand and the house. once there, I will install a 2" check valve for the main return line so I dont have to deal with siphon breaks. Im thinking about putting a valve in the stand on both the tank return and the loop return so I can adjust the flow here, vs doing it at the valves located by the pump disconnects. this means purchasing an extra 2" and extra 1 1/2" gate valves. Hmmm......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the glue I use. recommmended by a plumber friend of mine. the Rain or Shine cement. it can even be used with wet pipe as it sets EXTREMELY fast. just spread on both pieces of the joint, and push together and hold together for 10 seconds or so. after that, they are pretty well bonded. I think this suff can handle pressure in like 15 minutes. it is the best stuff to hold up to the marine environment. No primer needed!!! I LOVE the blue cause you know you have a good coat on there. the more the merrier...

[​IMG]
    how to use...
    http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/Video/solventweld_7mb.wmv

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Nice, great explanation on the plumbing! looks good so far :jester:

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

can't wait to see it set up

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

nice looking setup!

7. Pickupman66

Thanks guys for the comments. It looks like im getting sand this weekend. it will not be live sand, but I do have some and plenty of live rock to get the process started.

FYi, if you are considering a large tank, Overestimate your costs. Im at a point where I need to sell some stuff that was purchased to pay for the rest of my setup. while I am close to the water line, I really gotta sell that 225 I was building, a dart pump and a dual 250wt MH setup.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

woohoo, cool build youve got goin on here pickupman. im definitely following along, aNnd youve got a great startegy\plan. congrats.

guy

p.s , nice pickup

10. Pickupman66

Thanks Divot, that's not the truck that game me the name... I originally had a 1966 Chevy stepside.

all the plumbing is going into the crawlspace, over about 3 foot then a 10 foot run to the garage. the crawlspace is about 4' tall so its very easy to work under there. Ill be under there tonight I think so ill take some photos of the supports I built for the floor.

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

What is the rated gph for the pump you were originally going to put on the 225? I might need that as a back up.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Nice build thus far! :)

Are the duel 250w Mh still available?