picked up a blasto, water and growth question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Feb 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

So when we picked up our fire shrimp and polyps, I saw this blasto that caught my eye and ultimately I "had" to get it. I don't know which variety it is... It's neon pink with a neon green center that glows a bit under actinic lighting. Being that it wasn't cheap, I'd like it to grow off the frag disc onto the LR I have it next to. Is it sufficient to set it right next to the rock or do I need to drill a little hole and cement the frag disc into the rock?

The blasto is doing well so far, even fed it some cyclopeeze last night. It's the only hard body coral we have.

Water test:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - very low (likely 0) (can't tell a difference on tester)
    pH - 8.3
    Temp - 80
    Calcium - 500 ppm
    Alkalinity - 179 ppm GH/KH (11*dKH)
    Salinity - 35 ppm

Onto the water question. It seems the calcium is a bit high. I'm not familiar with interpreting alkalinity. Will the blasto do well in that kind of water? We do 10-15% water changes every week with reef crystals.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

congrats on the additions Jimmy

do you have a tank thread, that you will be adding images to?

the calcium as you state is a bit high - What test kits are you using?
    the DKH at 11 is at the very top of the range also - again same question on test kit

are you making any additions ? if you are, stop until the Calcium drops naturally to around 450 ish and the DKH around 9

if your not making additions, test the next new water you make for water change

also what are you testing SG with - as its possible your salinity is higher than you think it is and that would account for the high levels on calcium and DKH

IMHO I have kept LPS corals when my Calcium (tropic marin test kit) was at 480 ppm
    with a DKH of 9 and they did fine ( just learing the ropes with additions at that time and I over shot targets due poor math relating to strenght of solution I was mixing and adding)

so get your SG , Calcium and DKH double checked/ verified

if you find its the Reef Crystals batch thats caused these elevated levels
    you could consider allowing the levels to drop slowly by using instant ocean or any other salt mix with lower levels of these ions at a rate of 5% changes per week in order they gradually fall back down to the generally accepted range

Steve

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Take a pic of the Blasto too. Blastomussa Wellsi's grow very slowly compared to Blastomussa Merletti.

5. jimmy_beaner

I'm using the Sybon refractometer and API liquid tests. I had just added some LR when I took the tests (I picked out a special piece just for the blasto to grow on). I'll redo the tests now. Will the blasto grow onto something next to it or do I need to set the frag disc into a plug I make in the LR?

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

you dont have to Jimmy
    providing they are close enough they will spread onto nearby rockwork as the colony increases in size
    Steve

7. jimmy_beaner

Ok, new tests: 460 ppm calcium and 161.1 for alkalinity. I guess the LR addition drove it up slightly

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

Here are a couple cell phone pics. It doesn't capture it super well

Attached Files:

10. FaceOfDeceit

Looks like a Merletti to me. Place it close to the rock, and it should spread there.

11. jimmy_beaner

Is it close enough (second picture)? Will the rock colony and the frag colony stay separate or will they grow together? I'd like to be able to frag it if possible (help reduce some of the cost and help out others interested in this variety). I don't want to risk the colony if I don't need to. I was hoping setting frag discs next to it would encourage it to grow onto them and then I could separate those from the mother colony much easier

12. FaceOfDeceit

It should grow onto the rock...if you tilt it toward the rock (the plug at a 45* angle), it will be easier for it to move onto it. I don't know if the frag plug idea you have will work.