Phytoplankton and Rotifer station

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dx7fd2, Oct 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I'm in the middle of making a growing station for Phytoplankton, Rotifers, Brine shrimp and whatever else I can hatch out!! I'll post the design and pic later when I'm finished!!

Drew

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Cool once I move I plan on making the same set up. And once again I'll steel your ideas and design he he :)

4. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

He he ... My station is all setup. I'm Just waiting on the live phyto cells. Hopefully, I'll be able to start growing soon.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I just got the lights and the air pump and will be ordering the Plankton discs very soon. Let me know how you guys are doing with yours. I'll be getting the book from the Florida outfit with the discs... ;)
    https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi?cart_id=9742653.17084*955z

[smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif]​

I am getting the mini culture kit from these guys. The Florida Aqua Farms. I think there are some cheaper ones out there, but I'm really not sure. Does anybody know if FAFUSA has good quality stuff?

Drew

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You know , you guys all have too much free time!!! ;D

Where are the Pics and when can you make a station for me??!!! ;D

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Here's a couple of pics of the phytostation...I haven't started doing cultures yet:

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

How is this thing working? Do you know if you can culture DTs Phyto?

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

DT's is not live phytoplankton therefore it can not be grown. The algae discs I am using come from Florida Aqua Farms. They are live cultures that are grown in the 2 liter bottles by feeding them with a phytoplankton fertilizer. All of the equipment is available from Florida Aqua Farms, or in my case, I just bought the cultures and a few items and made the station myself from PVC. There are some good links on line, I'll check my other computers for the links I know I have them somewhere. The phytoplankton can be used for feeding the reef and for growing rotifers to feed the tank and inhabitants. Once started the new cultures and subsequent cultures
    are then grown from the first batches so you do not need to replenish supplies except water, salt and fertilizer. ;D

Drew

Fresh and alive is the best food for everything!! 8)

Here are some Links:

http://www.florida-aqua-farms.com

http://www.sjwilson.net/reef

The second link is the website of Flame Angel and has real good techniques to use for growing phytoplankton and lots of other stuff!!

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Who told you DT's wasn't live?

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I was under the impression that over the past year or so DT's has done something so that it can not be cultured. I was told this by a coral farm that does culture their own rotifers and Phytoplankton.
    I believe it happened shortly after Liquid life began to compete strongly with DT's

J