Photo inhibition

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Aug 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The battery is an excellent analogy. ^^^^

Just how it works.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That makes sense and that's what I've been doing since April, besides the amino and oyster feast. I started that 6 wks ago.

You're right, it sucks. How long did your coral take to rebound?

Out of curiosity, which coral look upset to you?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

And one thing that doesn't make sense is why my coralline stopped growing and is disappearing and why softies don't grow either despite looking full and vibrant.

I am beginning to think there is something in the water. Maybe this is hope, But I did have more success late last year when I used distilled water and my own salt.

Perhaps there is a metal or the like in his rodi that's inhibiting growth?

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Since we have no way of evaluating the source of water you're currently using, but we know you care much for your livestock, I don't think there is any question you should take control of your own water.

In a tank your size, it is possible something as simple as an inconstant water supply is causing you grief.

6. Servillius

I'm definitely no expert on the ID thing, so I have no idea what any of these "should" look like. You stare at your tank a long time though and you see some patterns. If these were in my tank, here is what my gut would be telling me.

The first pic has polyps that look shrunken. The base looks too big for the reach of the arms and the arms look stubby in a way I'm not acustomed to. If it was in my tank I wouldn't panic, specially if they had never been longer. That said, I'd always be suspicious of whether theyre as well off as they should be.

Second pic looks fine, but that type of staghorn thing takes for fricking ever to start growing.

Third pic, that birdsnest looks fine. How recent are the white bumps? They look rounded and older?

Last pic looks to be some kind of mille. I'm more inclined to see them with these half inch streamers sticking out of each polyp. This one looks withdrawn.

Overall I'm not claiming they're doing badly. I just think they show signs of having had an unhappy past. If things are stable, they're recovering slowly. I have an LFS that does aquaculture under lights similar to mine. When I had the same thing going on, I went there and bought a couple of healthy growing frags. While the rest of my corals continued to to nothing, these took off. That showed me the problem was the condition of my corals, no longer of my tank.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks for your input!

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

the 4th looks definately like a vermiculata to me. it is a type of Millipora. Ive had these before and teh calcium structure looks like it to me. tend to grow fat fuzzy branches. Have you tried a different bulb? do you have the UV shield over the bulb? if your params are stable and where they need to be, then id look to the light. now, ill say this. you have zero nitrates and extremely low phoshphates. this to me is a Ultra Low nutrient tank. are you running pellets or carbon dosing? if so, then lower your ALK to the 8 range. many have seen (including myself) that too high alk will inhibit growth and even cause burnt tips in a ULNS tank.

Ill agree with most here that something is off. not sure what. I know that ALL of my SPS show spurts. some will go dormant for a month or two then BOOM put on a 1/2" in a matter of weeks. then the tips tend to no longer be brighter and it holds steady or just bulks up. I had this one frag take a year to encrust to the size of a 1/2 dollar. never showed any vertical or horizontal growth, then the main stalk doubled in diameter. then BOOM, it exploded.

Current
    [​IMG]

4/2012
    [​IMG]

6/2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  10. Servillius

I just noticed them within the past few days, actually. I have had it since April and it is just now showing potential for growth.

When things turned around for me, this was my first sign. I don't want to get your hopes up or anything, but those little bumps right there, if they're fairly new, may be the beginning of some good news.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Just to throw it out there - phoenix bulbs are nice - I have one - but I don't think it's tops in growth. I believe Ushio has more par albeit more yellow than the phoenix bulb.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Spectrums closer to 10000k will always show more growth.