Phosphates reading 0 per Hanna

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Billme, Jun 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My phosphate tests have been reading 0 for the past 4 weeks. The thing is, I don't believe it. I'm still showing some nitrates ( about 2.5), and I have done nothing too different lately. The cyano is there but not much. This also coincides with having picked up a couple boxes of new reagent. I went back to the LFS that I bought the reagent from and he tested a sample of my water and came up with the same thing. He also mentioned that surprisingly, his home aquarium came up with 0 phosphates. I also tested my wife's nano and came up with 0 phosphates. The nitrates in her tank are 10 and I haven't been changing the filters lately as much as I should. Her tank should be showing some phosphates. I using phosguard at about half the recommended dose. Just wondering if anyone else has used a newer hanna reagent and their thoughts on the results?

2. Click Here!

3. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

I dont use them myself but I have read that different batches can give quite conflicting results..have you got a salifert or something to compare it to?
    I know you say there isn't much cyano but is it possible it could be absorbing the po4?

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Hanna works fine and is consistent from batch to batch in my experience, but only if you do the test very correctly. I cut the reagent packet open before I start. I then get a two minute timer ready. Once I add the reagent, I start the time and gently agitate by turning the vial over then back for the full 2 minutes. I stop in the middle briefly to clean the vial. Only at the end of two minutes do you start the three minute timer.

The problem is if you go a little over, the machine will shut off. You have to get the timing right then stick to the method rigorously. I used to get 0 all the time. I now get readings from 0.01 to 0.04 and when the nutrients were worse, I would get readings around 0.07 to 0.09. I've sent samples to a lab twice for analysis and both times Hanna matched really well.

Billme likes this.
  5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Do you use the ULR?

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Only at the end of two minutes do you start the three minute timer.

Thanks for the pointers servillus. SDI to understand, between mixing and waiting, it's 5 minutes?

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Not sure what the ulr is. It's the standard optical Hanna.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Good point Alfie. I'll pick up a salifert kit.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Ultra low resolution. Should say ULR on it. It reads in parts per billion instead on ppm. It reads much lower concentrations.

Billme likes this.
  11. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Yep, between mixing and waiting it's roughly 5 minutes. I don't use the ULR. Just the standard model.

Billme likes this.
  12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That may be why you're getting zero.

Billme likes this.