Phosphate test kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Stinky Pete, Dec 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Astrea Snail

I use an API phosphate test kit and I'm pretty sure it's useless. My reading has been .25 for a few weeks. I decided to test my R/O water, some distilled water, tap water and drinking water. Somehow they all read .25
    Anyone else have an issue with this test kit? I realize I need a new one that reads between 0 and .25 anyway but this thing is worthless.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

API is ok for getting you through the nitrogen cycle and accustomed to testing, but not much else.

5. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

don't be worried, the API test kit when it reads slightly colored, it's usually close to 0 your actual water. In my opinion, if my API test kit tests that low, my tank is doing just fine and not worried about it. I have a bunch of SPS that are growing great with that reading.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Problem is, every tank is different. With an actual PO4 level of .25, corals suffer and nuisance algae takes over. Optimum reading is .03. One can't possibly maintain it properly without an accurate reading.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Don't get the phosphate get the phosphorus ULR colorimeter.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

.25 is pretty high. My point was that with the API test kits, I've never seen it at that first color shade. it has always read between 0 and .25 due to the fact that their kits aren't really the most precise ones. good for ball park figure.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

.25 is not just hight it's off the scale for an SPS tank. . API kit is a high range kit. It will always read zero unless you have a real PO4 problem. If it reads anything other than zero you got some issues. The only way to tell what your PO4 is is to get a low range kit.

11. rcflyer1388

good point...gotta pay the bigger bucks for precision.