Phosphate remover hurt refugium?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by GAZBO, Apr 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I have always had to regulate my phosphate and ammonia with a remover and last week I added a refugium with grape cualerpa. The cualerpa has almost doubled in a week and my phosphates are still high, I didnt add any remover this week and my corals are starting to look stressed. Will it HURT my refugium to use a phosphate remover (salifert phosphate eliminator) and a nitrite/nitrate detoxifier Seachem Prime.

parameters
    temp 80
    sal. 1.025
    calcium 450
    iodine .01ppm
    strontium 10mg/l
    mag, 1100
    phosphate less than .25 more than.1
    nitrite .1
    nitrate 10ppm
    ammonia .05
    KH 9.9
    ALK 3.54

2. Click Here!

3. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

Will it hurt the fuge..... No, but if you get the phosphate levels low enough you will find that the algae will slow down, but that is fine.

I am concerned though that you are having an ammona problem. If you are having extra ammonia, either you are way overfeeding the tank, or something is messed up with your bio filter.

Please tell us more about your tank so we can help with this major problem.

Kim

4. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I will admit that I have been overfeeding and now been trying to cut it back (fine tune) to eliminate ammonia level which I got it almost zeroed out. the test I used doesn't have a good color chart so I guessed at the .05 reading

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Phosphates aren't terrible. They will, impede some corals, but thats about it. I would be pretty worried about the ammonia though, there is no reason under any circumstances ammonia should be present in an established aquarium. I doubt overfeeding would casue it, unless it was like WAY WAY overfeeding. I would look into how heavily the stock is, and your current biological filtration.

6. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

My sign. shows what I have other that I added a refu. I do have alot of inverts 3cleaner shrimp 2 peppermint, emerald crab, serpant star, banded sea urchin, boxer crab,50+ blue hermits,100 misc. snails, Do I need to do something with my load or is there something I can add to help?

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Make sure none of your inverts have died, that will cause an NH3 spike.