Phosban reactor, GFO and Carbon, confusing

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Marie0912, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

Hello ,
    I have phospate in my water, I use RODI water, my meter read 0. From what I am reading it could be from food and fish poop. I am trying to figure out if I need a phosban reactor or gfo and carbon, I can't seem to understand the difference between the two and which would fit my tank needs.

I have a 120 gallons, its 2 years old, all my param are good exept phosphate it's .5
    I have the red slime, its not bad but annoying.
    I have a refugium with cheato but cheato won't grow.
    I have leds so the red slime is not from my bulbs.

So which one would be best for me and what do they do?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

phosban is a brand that makes GFO which leaches out phosphates and you can also get a second reactor for carbon which polishes the water.

I would recommend getting a reactor for each separately that way you can change the media in the separately.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

5. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

GFO essentially absorbs phosphate, carbon polishes the water by absorbing small particles and substances in the water (not specifically phosphate) I dont know if it does absorb any phosphate but even if so not a substantial amount. However carbon DOSING (vodka or biopellets) does assist in the removal of phosphate and nitrate. I think many people would agree if your specifically trying to remove phosphate stick with GFO.

6. IBEW41

IBEW41 Astrea Snail

agree use gfo

7. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Well it seems this has already been covered, but if you do run GFO you will need a fluidized reactor to run it properly. It does not have to be a phosban brand reactor however. Your red slime is almost 100% a result of the higher PO4 levels, and GFO will allow you to quickly reduce the phosphate levels.

8. Click Here!

9. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

which brand would you guys recommend? would it be better to get 2 singles or one duel?

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I use 2 of the 2 little Fishies phosban reactors, but the elbows tend to leak. Looking back I would have prolly gone with the BRS dual reactor... Only problem with that is it does not attach to the sump, only screws into your cabinet etc. But, that may not be an issue for you :)

11. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I passive run carbon in my one tank, none in the other. Two Little Fishies Phosban reactors in both tanks running BRS granular GFO. As for the elbows leaking, I either use clamps or zipties to keep them snug and no leaks.

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Sounds like a nutrient problem, especially with the red slime. Running both carbon and GFO can work well... you could run two of the TLF reactors in series off of one pump with carbon in the 1st one, GFO in the 2nd.

Another solution to red slime is to turn off the tank lights for 3 days. That won't harm your corals and the red slime will die off. This is often just seen as a "band aid" solution though... it is best to start using GFO or something afterwards to keep it from growing back.