Phoenix 14k vs Radium 20k - Which 150w is more blue?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by GjB, Dec 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I'm using the 150w stock ballast that came with my Biocube 29 HQI. The stock Coralife 14k bulb hardly provides any flourescence and I want to avoid supplemental actinics. Anyone have side-by-side pics of these bulbs?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Give me 24 hours. I am changing from a Phoenix to a Radium today. But I am pretty sure the Phoenix is bluer.

I hear a lot of good things about the Radiums so I am going to give it a try. With that said I have been very happy with the Phoenix.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hopefully Dingo will see this. He helped me decide on my bulb for my new MH set-up. I went with a Radium 20K that's paired with a Galaxy select-a-watt ballast in a Lumen Max 2 mogul Pendant. I'll let you know how "blue" mine is when I fire it up in the next week. I think you can't go wrong with either bulb but the ballast + bulb combos def can make some more blue than others & it's very hard to represent the exact colors in photos.

5. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Thank you both! I know that pics don't do any bulb justice, but its all we can have without seeing each other's tanks in person!

I basically need some actinics to flouresce things in my tank because, although my current bulb makes the room glow blue (looks like a nuclear reactor from outside the window at night), it doesn't provide any actinics or blue coloring in the tank...just a natural clean white.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I will proabably be posting my pictures this pm or tomorrow, since nothing has gone according to plan.::)

7. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Sorry...I was impatient (or I was Xmas shopping on Amazon and it jumped into my cart) and didn't want to spend double on the Radium. My Phoenix will be here next Friday. Looking forward to your pic(s).

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Are yours 150w or 250w? I believe the 250w are bluer in general. I currently am running 150w Phoenix bulbs and like them, the color is nice, but I may give the Radiums a go when the useful life of my current bulbs is up.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Mine is a 250w, so anxious to fire it up. My Galaxy ballast has 4 settings 250/HQI/400/TURBO so I can play with overdriving the bulb, but I know it will decrease the bulb life, we'll see!

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sorry i didnt see this earlier... generally speaking, the 250w bulbs put out more blue because of the increased wattage.

I am a big fan of phoenix and as ive never used the radium DE 150w, I have heard it is decently blue. Either way, both bulbs are really good quality so you cant go wrong with either one. you will get plenty of fluorescence :)

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I have used both of these bulbs, but do not have side-by-side pictures. I will say though that I absolutely loved the phoenix 14k. The 20k seemed to wash colors out while the phoenix intensified everything. I would highly recommend the 14k.

Ivan