philippine underwater

Discussion in 'Coral' started by crownofthorns, Feb 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crownofthorns

crownofthorns Plankton

hi guys and girls..im new in this forum..im from the philippines and my house is near the beach..here, you will find the best diving site...im starting to build my own aquarium...just wanna ask if i can put a jellyfish and a clam in my aquarium...i think that would be nice..=) i can get any fish and corals here in my "backyard" for free..=) and i wanna ask if a reef aquarium is hard to maintain...thanks people for your posts....

-crownofthorns- :p

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Love your handle/name and welcome!

Jelly fish are very iffy and don't do well in tanks with corners.  All of the jelly fish displays I've seen at Public Aquariums are round. The displays I have seen are jelly fish only, and not mixed with other fish.

Reef tanks relatively easy to maintain if set up properly.  Usually, the bigger the tank the beter along with good filtration.  The solution to pollution is dilution so more gallons give you a greatr margin for errors.  Good security for the beginner.

Tell us a little more about what you want, and read the Three Steps to a Reef Aquarium, if you haven't already done so, here:

Step 1 -
    http://www.3reef.com/step1.shtml
    Step 2 - http://www.3reef.com/step2.shtml
    Step 3 - http://www.3reef.com/step3.shtml

4. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Welcome Crown,

Lucky you with the ocean as a backyard. Most of us are green with envy. Well hey here's my advice. If your new to the hobby read everything you find on it. You'll find alot of useful information in this forum. I would start with the Newbie forum.

I would like to lend a word of advice though, about collecting wild specimens, be careful, they can be hosting parasitic creatures that can bring your tank to a crash. Read up on collecting and quarantine tactics. Gresham might be able to help you out some.

As far as Jellyfish and Clams, those are creatures for the more advanced and experienced aquarium keeper.
    If you are however still interested, post your questions about these creatures under the Inverts and we'll all pitch in to help. If jellies is what you want I can help a little bit on it.

Again welcome and here's one Karma just because nobody should be at zero.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Jelly's require a flow-less filter, not something for a newbie. I know guys who make thousands on Jelly displays, it's all they do (flying around the world to set them up).

I'd be carefull with collections in PI with out BFAR's approval.

Since your right on the ocean, you can use your own ocean water (if it's prestine) for weekly water changes. Other then temp flucuation (do you have an Air conditioner?) you should have no problems with this. I'd do a 1/4 change weekly with nsw and don't worry about supplements.

6. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp