PharmrJohn's 90g Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by PharmrJohn, Sep 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

So now that you got the extra 15 gallons whatcha gonna put in there to fill it? ;)

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Pharmr doncha just love using the fake tupperware! that stuff works and cuts great!!!!!!!!!! Very nice!

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Not only did I increase my gallonage, but I got rid of a few fish. My magenta dottyback went the nano. My wife loves that fish, but no shrimp for me if I have it. And since my CBS has no pincers now (lost both in the move from the main tank to the holding tank) I need him gone. My CBS is a sitting duck until he regenerates them and I want a few peppermint shrimp too. The longnosed hawkfish and a yellow damsel are going back. I also bought a flower pot a month ago that is not doing well under my lighting. Since I am a ways away from my T5s, I am returning it before I kill it.

So I am going to end up with some store credit I will have to spend. If they have a juvi coris wrasse, I will pick that up. I may also pick up a twelve line wrasse. I am going to pick up some Xenia for sure and maybe another light forgiving coral if the budget allows.

Yippee skippy. I am going to have fun tomorrow!!!!

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Parameters done

So here is my first full paratmeter test since the changeover.

NH4: 0.35
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 25
    pH: 8.2
    Temp: 80
    SG: 1.025
    Ca: 420
    Mg: 1440
    dKH: 10
    PO4: 0.8

So.......looks like my tank hit a little cycle secondary to the change over, probably due to the shifting of the sand. I did not bring it over in pie shaped chunks. I just dumped it into two buckets, made sure there was water in it and transferred the contents the next day.

I am going to bring my dKH to 11 or 12. I will add Ca to compensate for the inevitable drop. I am going to just raise it 40 to 60. I want my Ca around 450.

My PO4 sucks. Period. I am going to get something for the fuge and look into a reactor. I know they are cheap.

I am setting up my Denitrator this weekend. I had it in storage. So in a month or two, that will be fully functioning.

No trip to the LFS today. I want to work on my numbers a bit before subjecting any more life to the apparent hazards of my tank. I do need to take a few fish and a coral back, but I think that will be next weekend.

EDIT: Adjusted dKH to 12........Noon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, looks like I got it wrong. When I raised my ALK, I was expecting a drop in Ca and an increase in Mg. Oops. It's the other way around. I just did my followup testing.

dKH: 12 (from 10)
    Ca: 440 (from 420)
    Mg: 1410 (from 1440)

I see no reason to suppliment at this time. Optimally I would like my Ca at 450 to optimize coralline growth, but this will do for now.

Now I need to look into an iodine dip for my dying xenia. Maybe that will bring it back. The dKH increase did nothing for it. We'll see.

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

great looking tank John!!! what kind of corals are you bringing back and why? we need pics asap!!! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Pics

I am bringing back the flower pot I bought about a month ago. It just isn't opening up like I want it too. Here are a few pics of it. Sorry about the quality. I could not get the glare to go away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics just because it's Sunday morning.

Where's Waldo?

[​IMG]

Clowning around........

[​IMG]

Turbinaria and friends. Notice the little white parasite on my coral beauty. If I catch him, a freshwater dip will be in order.

[​IMG]

Closeup of Turbinaria

[​IMG]

Greenery........

[​IMG]

Sick Xenia...............

[​IMG]

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Last night, I dumped a bunch of pods into the tank. We will see how long it tanks them to multiply.

The skimmer is dialed in and skimming a little here and there. The water is pretty clean, as I have not been feeding much at all. Maybe once to twice a week for the last three weeks. That with a major water change really cleaned things up.

Last night, I was looking into my tank at one in the morning with a flashlight to see if the pods were out and about and I saw something dart back into my flower pot. I was up again at three in the morning and this time got the camera and put it in flash mode. I took a pic in the general direction of the coral to see if I could get it before it was able to retreat into it's burrow. What I have is a little out of focus but that is OK. Just click on it to zoom in.

Before.....................

[​IMG]

After..............

[​IMG]

11. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what the hay is that monster......if you zoom in the second pic you can see that it is still under the flower pot still! Can see its body....its an alien:alien:.

I have only had 1 flower pot and did not do well with it....was when I first started and was not told to place it upside down when I stuck it in the water and that thing got so much air into it I thought it was going to blow up. Was cool looking for a while but I think the stress of it ended up killing it. I did not realize even what happened until too late.