Urgent PH to High

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by antole, May 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Do you prefer the refractometer now?

2. Click Here!

3. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes the refractometer is so clear and easy to read and it's exact with proper calibration. Well it turned out it was the salt mix, I switched to reef crystals and it stated lowering my ph instantly down from 8.8 to 8.5 so fat still a little way to go, just trying to take it slow :) thanks for the help everyone

4. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So I must have had a bad couple of buckets of salt does has anyone else had a problem with Red Sea coral pro salt?

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

High pH is usually a result of oversaturation of O2 when in the tank. And conversely, a low pH usually means a lack of O2 (or a CO2 buildup) in your system.
    If your source water is at 8.4, you will need to buffer it down before mixing the salt. By chance, are you using a water softener in our home? That will cause high pH. You can use a few drops of vinegar when you mix the salt to break down the alkalinity (make it more acidic), which will lower the pH. Your tank is still new, try not to monkey with it too much. The tank is very unstable as it is when it's new, messing with the buffering capacity will create a ton of headaches later on down the road.

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i knew i was rite

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Well, not directly related with O2. BUT, a buildup of CO2 will cause a drop in pH. CO2 is an oxidizer and will create chemical reactions that will result in a lowering of pH. Powerman and I discussed this in the past actually. It's really a misnomer of pH drops caused by lack O2, but more correctly, a presence/buildup of CO2.

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

well im sort of rite then

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The new coral pro salt sent out a few poor batches with pH and alkalinity issues.