Urgent PH to High

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by antole, May 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

antole

have you tested a fresh made batch of the saltwater?
    whats your RODI water source, is it home unit or are you buying in RODI - may be worth testing the RODI aslo just in case thats a source of the PH issue

I assume your not dosing Kalkwasser, as that has a PH of 12, so you could end up with high localised PH in tanks dosed with a lot of Kalwasser

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

My bad-brain fart.

4. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have its a little high on the batch im letting sit for the night 8.6, the RODI water is coming in at 7 its a home and a brand new unit tds is 0 home water is only reading 66 its well water so its half decent.

5. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Curious: Did the LFS check your other parameters as well? Just wondering if your SG may actually be higher than what it's reading... since, I believe, you said the pH and Alk are both on the high side as well.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

have you tested your fresh saltwater before putting it into the tank? i have never used that brand. but wonder if maybe you got a bad batch?

7. antole

I just bought a refractometer today when I get home I will check salinity they didn't test it at Lfs

8. Click Here!

9. antole

It's coming in at 8.4 ph

10. antole

well tested salinity and its on 1.025 with refractor ph is still high alkalinity went down decided to get a bucket of reefcrystals test ph in brand new bucket of water its 8.3 ph as apposed to other is 8.6 ph after letting sit all night, what salts do you use for newer aquarium?

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You should be able to use any salt mix in a tank of any age. I use Reef Crystals and my pH is 8.4 at the end of the photoperiod. This link is a lot of blah blah blah..... But it might hit on the reason why. At what time of day are you testing the pH by the way. Also I would try to test it once in the am before the lights go on and again in the pm before they go off and see how much of a swing you are getting from am to pm.

High pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

12. antole

I did read that the other day and it was great stuff. I tested last night right before lights went off, it was 8.8 and before lights went on 8.7, I tested both batches of saltwater and am switching to reef crystals for the time being hopefully that works. But after 45 out of 120 gallons of water no change with other salt thanks everyone for the help I will keep you posted