PH Question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by DrewGritz, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

Tangster, I can never get my ph above 7.6! I have a fish only tank, for now [Big dirty fish]180g and a tight fitting lid with 3 air stones spittin out bubbles all the time, should I remove the lids and will that raise my ph ?? ??? I keep lids on to cut down on evap...

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I have worked my way through this article once before. Getting through it once is a good start. Then work on the additional reading at the bottom.

I found the graph of Calcium/Alk in the additional reading section helpful when running weekly test to keep me straight as to what to add to move back to the correct ratio....

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Take off your glass lid and your ph will increase with better O2 exchange

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I didn't mean to come off argumentative or to muck up this thread, all I was getting at is that adding buffers, in the Tangsters first reply is not a effective way to increase or control pH. In response with the organics... I was a little vague as well, when the "organics" are broken down O2 is used to break the components down releasing CO2 and various acidic compounds. This like tangster stated is what is "taxing" the buffers in the system. More organic wastes in the tank more stress on the buffers and more likelihood that the pH will be depressed.
    Of course organics is not the only cause to a depressed pH. Other causes can be an improperly adjusted Calcium reactor, causing a lower pH effluent to be returned to the system lowering the systems pH. Simple adjustments to the reactor will more often than not remedy this problem.
    Lack of O2 in the tank do to an abundance of CO2 is another likely cause. This is what tangster referred to, the use of an airstone. To see if this will work you should take a container and fill with tank water. Use a pump and airstone OUTSIDE, not indoors and aereate the water for awhile. pH should go up. Try again INDOOR, if pH goes up overabundance of CO2 in the house isn't the cause. If the pH DOESN'T go up that means there is too much CO2 in the house and that is the cause of the depressed pH.. it is diffusing into the tank. Opening a window if possible or using a long air tube to draw fresh air from outside into the skimmer could work. If your house is newer and airtight it is more likely to have issue with overabundance of CO2.
    If your alkalinity is really low, this could also be a possible reason for the depressed pH and that is one of the few times adding buffer WILL help increase pH.
    Randy Holmes Farley is quoted often here or linked to, there is a link in this thread... But if you read his articles on pH and alkalinity he says time and time again that a depressed pH in NOT cured by adding buffers(with the exception of having a low alkalinity to start) the increase in alkalinity is not worth the small increase in pH. He also recommends time and time again the use of kalkwasser as a top off and source of pH regulation.

Good luck with the pH and happy reading!

1 person likes this.
  6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

First off yes remove the Lids and take some of that water put it in a cup and pump in some fresh air with a pump ad air stone and watch the Ph meter jump up after a few hrs.. .. I'll bet you money its CO2 that are causing your problem this is why I always ask about tops when I read theses Ph issues post.. Even in a house in winter Like Otty here he called me to say my Ph is low !!! what to do buffer won't help . Go ask him where he found out as did many others .. Maybe he will chime in here as well as others ? But you try what I suggested and tell me where your Ph went to..

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

So after all the goggling you have learned that Ph means nothing other then there is a problem with acids build up and if you have the systems buffering capacity is at full strength and at proper levels then there is not any issues with lack of Oxygen and that a tight fitting hood mean a build up of acidic co2 gas that also equals low ph and more demand on carbonate needs ..
    I have posted so many times to so many about acidic issues and causes It gets a little tiresome and a search here would answer any questions about what fresh air and air stones will add to a tanks Ph even on to OTS I have posted tons of information and how to handle that situation also with a constantly falling ph problem . But I speak from what I know as cause and cure I never link or quote others I make my own mistakes and learn my own lessons ..

But you go back and show me where I ever said to add buffer blindly ? I never said that , I was just telling them to make sure the Ph was not an issue from lack of the carbonates that control ph at the end of the day ..
    Thats the problem with reading repeating there is room for misinterpretation and it is simple passed on like the he said she said stuff .

As for Ca reactors that why I have walked many people here through a set up I always have them employ a simple degasser cup , Or allow the effluent to run down the side of the sumps walls to or to splash onto a flat rock above water line to allow it to exchange co2 for 02 .. How many fronts on Ph issue do you want to open at one time ? I simply asked and suggested that they check carbonates first and adjust accord ling before going shot gun and jumping all over the place .. But experience taught me that hen me never linking or quoting .

Again Ph means nothing other then your carbonates are being suppressed and or exhausted and the simple reason is acids :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

Tangster, I took the lids off yesterday and will check Ph tonight!!!
    Will let you know results !! Air stones are still running !!!

Tangster, keep posting your advice, knowledge, and all around GREAT solutions,I for one read all of them !!!:cheesy::cheesy::idea::idea:

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have over the yrs have always well lets sat 90% of the time when I see I have a Ph problem have found it was the guys where using tight glass tops Its like putting a plastic bag over your head and trying to breath . I find its easier to tweak others cuiorsity about what did he mean and have them look and search to find out that way they get several opinins and ideas as to why and at the end of the day they learn what was the real cause . I don 't try to come off as short or snide ? I just was not going to go into a deep spew about what all the problems could cause low Ph .. As I said thiugh Ph means less then Jack its just a simple indactor of a problem . you get some fresh air to that system and it will repsond if you are wanting to know for sure put a cup outside and run the air stone for 5 hrs that will show you what the carbonates can do. If your DKH/carbonates are atcorrect levels and then the waters Ph will respond .

11. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

Tangster, Ph 8.2 ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:victory::victory::victory: Thank you Man !!!

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Wow another lucky guess on my part But another satisfied customer LOL Great good to go then keep on keeping on and toss the tops .

1 person likes this.