PH Question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by DrewGritz, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrewGritz

DrewGritz Flamingo Tongue

I am not worrying but, my PH is 7.8 and I am aware a saltwater tank should be at 8.2-8.4... How can I increase my ph without harming any inverts in my tank?

Would a PH buffer be safe?

Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, 7.8 before the lights come on, an hour or so after or mid way in the light cycle?

4. DrewGritz

It has stayed consistent throughout the entire lighting cycle... I just started my tank about a month ago though, didn't know if that could effect anything...

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

2 people like this.
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What he said........

7. DrewGritz

What should I be using to maintain/ test for Alkalinity?

8. Click Here!

9. DrewGritz

Also, that site is great!

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

There are a variety of solutions for supplementing all of the chemistry for reef tanks. I could type it all out, or I could just refer you back to reefkeeping.com (which is a great site, I agree!). :)

The whole series on chemistry is really good to know, I forget which article it's in, there are links to all of the articles in the opening paragraph I think. It should give you a pretty good understanding of what's necessary.
    The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Also, there are test kits for all of the main aspects of the chemistry. I imagine there are 3reef sponsors that carry them or you can check some of the big sites like marinedepot.com or drsfostersmith.com.

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Many of the organics that are being created during and after the cycling process drive down the pH. That is why when doing your w/c's you go through the tank and try to remove as much detritus as possible, whether its in the rock crevices and holes(turkey baster works great!) or under rocks or trapped behind rocks where the current misses.
    Removing the detritus will also help curtail NO3 and PO4 production which is a good thing.

Maintaining an alkalinity of 8-12 dkH will help keep the pH stable but it isn't a sure fire way to keep the pH where it needs to be. The addition of kalkwasser(calcium hydroxide) for top offs will definetly help keep the pH up as well as making sure there is ample O2 for the tank. Sounds redundant but esp. in the winter months in colder climates where the house is boarded up, many people notice that the pH is harder to keep up as the house is filled with more CO2 than in the summer months. Or next time you have a gathering at your house you will also notice the pH drop as the crowd all fills the house with CO2...

Now back to your question, simply adding buffer will NOT increase pH, many commercial buffers on the market will increase alk way more than it will nudge the pH upward, causing the big three to come even more so out of wack.

I would wait until the tank cycling is entirely complete before you start to worry, and in all reality I wouldn't worry over 7.8 anyway...
    When the cycle is over it will be easier to tell what you need to do to get everything in line!

Happy reefing!

1 person likes this.
  12. DrewGritz

So I am going to show how new to this I am but, would the Detrius be the Brown specs on my live sand and live rocks?

Also, I was planning on adding just a bit more live sand, is this OK to add at anytime? (I am talking about the sand that is bagged up from the store and says it is reef safe, etc)

Thanks again!