PH keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JetEngineMech, Jul 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

No, I don't.

2. Click Here!

3. JetEngineMech

Let me see if I have this straight so far…

I need to keep the top off or ventilated somehow.
    I should be using buffer or baking soda (but how much and how often?)
    I need to get some better test kits (Salifert)
    And I need to test for: dkh/alk, ph, cal, mag, no3.
    Some things are dependant upon the other: no3 will bring down ph; mag needs to be correct before worrying about alk and cal; alk needs to be right before ph will stabilize.
    I need to test at the same time of day, but do they all need to be tested daily?
    An air stone will help things out.
    A refugium couldn’t hurt…;D

Please add to this or correct me where I’m wrong, I’m going to print out this as my “bible” to try to keep things right within my tank. I have a lot invested in it and don’t want to give up on it. I really enjoy having a FOWLR and would like to keep it going.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sounds like you got it. As for the Baking soda/borax, I wouldnt dose it until you know what your doing. In order to keep your Cal and Alk/Dkh levels stable, you need to bring your Mag level to 1400-1500. Once you achieve that, raising your Cal and Alk levels and keeping them there will be easier. Luna

5. JetEngineMech

Cool. Right now my Cal/Mag/Iodine is all in the "Marine Trace" I use. I'm not sure how I would control them separately. Are those available separately?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yes, you can buy them separately. Luna

7. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

you might need to order your magnesium on line rarely the local lfs carries it

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Epspom Salt is available at any Kmart or pharmacy. It is magnesium sulfide, and it will work fine to raise the mag level. People have been using it for decades now.

10. JetEngineMech

Really? Wow, I'm learning quite a bit here.

Now, do all of those need to be checked daily once they've reached their optimum levels?

11. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

Not trying to hijack this thread but how do you use the epsom salt? Do you just put a small amount in the sump to dissolve or what?

Thanks

12. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

No offence there boogie, you might add here to the guys that "epson salts" is made up primarley magnesium ""sulfide"" which you stated.

But what should be noted is that if given time / build up of the sulfides in the tank can be toxic.
    ( gotta keep up with water changes )

Thats why I suggest in using commerial branded Magnesium "chloride" it's safe and for a few extra clams, i'd prefer to use that over epson salts any day.

For the sake of a few extra dollars why not stick with the right prescribed additives/chemical etc.