PH keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JetEngineMech, Jul 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

The Tang is back swimming now, but still breathing quickly. I can open up some spots on the tank for now to let the air move better. Is there anything I can do to lower the Alk or is the PH my first priority? That starfish is split open from its side all the way to the top-center now. I don't know if it is related or not, but it's really quite disturbing.

2. Click Here!

3. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

Hey this may sound like a stupid question but on a previous post you stated that you change out 6 gallons a week with RO water. Do you use staright RO water or do you mix it with salt first? What's your SG?

If you have an air pump handy drop an air stone in the tank, that should help you raise oxgen levels a bit. Def lose the glass tops!

4. JetEngineMech

I use a mix before i put it in and usually add some PH 8.2 powder to bring it up, it's low from the city. SG is always between 1.023-1.025. I took out those trimmable plastic "fillers" that go from the back of the glass to the tank edge and propped open both lids about 1/4".

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What type of jumping fish do you have ?

6. JetEngineMech

A couple gobies, I forgot to list them because I never see them ;D
    I lost one a few weeks ago, it was a long, thin blue one. Can't think of the name off-hand.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A Neon Goby ? I never had that much problem with a goby jumping or wrasses either I have had them to but it was /is so seldom I'd not risk the rest of my fish to the point of adding glass tops to help to avoid them from jumping .. My tank sets wide open on the top , What type chiller do you use ? Unless you keep the room really cool with the tops and lighting the temps have to get up there and that will also kill the fish as the water is exhausted of its oxygen and the excess CO'2s

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

As mentioned below, take the glass tops off completely. I have never covered a tank before and never will either. In the past 21 yrs, I only had one fish jump. You can always place eggcrates if that makes you feel better. You need to test for Mag, Alk/Dkh, Cal and No3. No3's will bring down your ph levels. You need to test for Mag 1st(1400-1500), after getting your mag at the right level, your Alk and Cal will stable out. I would also get a air pump as suggested by ShrimpSkin. Just my 2 cents. Luna

10. JetEngineMech

It wasn't a neon, it was about 2" long. I'll have to check the temp when I get home (I'm at work now) but it's usually around 77. Knowing now how a tight lid isn't so good, I wonder what to do with my AquaPod...

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Our little Nano has the same type of top , But it is not as tight fiting and there is nothing close to the bio load in the little tanks I do as a rule have ours cracked open and a ceiling fan will blow air down into it.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Do you happen to run a phosban reactor or add anything for phosphate control? Phosban reactors are known for causing ph/alk drops when you change it.