pH Control Question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NASAGeek, Aug 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

All my water parameters look good, but my pH typically runs 7.7 to 8.1. I ran a little test and ran some air bubbles in the tank... sure enough pH gradually went up.

I was thinking of adding the following.

Air Pump with airstone in my skimmer section of my sump. Have Air Pump controlled by my AC Jr with the logic that IF pH<8.1 Turn Air Pump On and IF pH>8.3 Turn Air Pump OFF.

Thoughts???

Mark

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

To new for me. I am awaiting to see how that works for others before I invest but I see no harm for not running it like that.

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I live in Houston; the house is closed up and on A/C most of the year. My theory was that I didn't have enough dissolved O2 in the system and that was driving my pH down. I read some threads and decided to do an air bubble test. Raised the pH slowly, but without question.

Getting more fresh air in the house would be problemmatic, so this seemed simple, but I've never read of anyone else doing it, so I was wondering if I was crazy.

M

PS -- Stupid question, but why do I care that pH is low?? I know it is 'bad', but why?? I have to wrap my head around the Alk, Ca, Mg and think of why low pH impacts all of that...

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

is it higher during the day or at night. I know it drops at night and thats when i dose my tank for it.

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

It follows the normal pattern with dosing schedule, but it is always about 0.3-0.4 lower than I'd expect. My understanding was that if adding bubbles raised the pH, you had a dissolved gasses problem and needed more aeration.

The other thing I considered was that my pH probe might be out of calibration, but even if that were true, the pH going up with bubbles means it "wants" more air... I think.

M

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

hmmmmmm. New to me. I know nothing about that theory. I guess we have to see what the other hobbyists have to say.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

if your ALK is in line, I wouldn't worry about these pH readings at all.

Having said that, fellow Houstonian, run your skimmer air intake outside. That'll nip this.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The pH is an indication of oxygen levels in this case. It's fluctuating when the dissolved oxygen levels go down.

I agree with the idea of running the skimmer intake outside. That would eliminate your problem completely.