PH, CO2 & Ventless fireplace have in common? Trouble

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Otty, Dec 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That is something I can look into. 8)

2. Click Here!

3. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

Not good. eventually your going to dry a load of laundry. and that Ph is going to drop.
    AL

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

as long as the intake of the pump is far enough away from the exhaust it will be fine. i know some guys that actually have a line going to the roof. the only thing to worry about is the heat from the dryer which is why its adjacent to the exhaust preferably with insulation. and if the outside line is kept clear of obstructions. one of which being ice in the winter, but a small shelf or hood over the hose should cure that.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Update

Well after running lines outside for the skimmer input and adding one Dolphin 5 Star outside the house with 4 stones in the sump plus a Dolphin 3 Star inside with 2 stones in (6 total) I still have not been able to turn the fireplace on in the house or little lone get the tanks pH above 8.05

I just got a 6" hole cut for a vent outside this weekend and added a 270 cfm fan to push the air right above the display tank and I now have a pH of 8.19 and climbing with it only running 2 days and the fan only runs for 10.5 hrs. I have yet to turn the fireplace back on but will have to in the next couple of days due to it getting in the single digests around here so we'll see what it does. This has sure been a learning experience.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :-/

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ph.jpg
      ph.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man that looks like it did the trick. Great job Otty! 8)
    Again I wish I had seen this thread when I had probs a few winters ago with my tank near the heating vent. I think I will stick this thread.

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

otty:
    took you long enough to run the line outside, make sure the line doesnt freeze with water. keep isolated and dry

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Boy it has sure been a learning experience for me. Thought I planned this big tank out completely and then stuff like this rears it's ugly head. Oh well chaulk it down for lesson learned.

If you are talking about the Dolphin pump, it has been outside for about 3 1/2 weeks and not doing the trick. Every time I turn the fireplace on it would take about 3 to 4 days and my elegance would not open due to the pH dropping.
    I have a Honney do list that is a mile long plus a 2 and 5 yr old that tug on Daddy pant leg every night so it is hard to get time to do anything around here..;)

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Very true otty!!!!! Always something!!!

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i was talking about the air line going outside. you could always put the kids to work for ya.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I take it you don't have kids...;D It would cause twice as much work to let my 2 yr old help. :p