pH, Calcium Alkalinity and Magnesium.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Night-Rida, Apr 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

So what all does KALK do/provide that you weren't dosing anything else? Forgive my ignorance...haven't researched this one yet.

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

from 1st link provided at bottom of page.

Kalkwasser powder contains an equal portion of calcium and alkalinity. Kalkwasser is best used in aquariums with low to medium calcium demand, or in combination with another calcium supplement. Kalkwasser is made by mixing 2 tablespoons of powder per gallon of fresh water. Then use the kalkwasser mix as part of your evaporation top of water in combination with fresh RODI water. The biggest disadvantage of kalkwasser is it can be messy to make and can create pH spikes if overdosed. Avoid pH spikes by monitoring your pH as kalkwasser. Kalkwasser can also be used to eliminate aiptasia. The most readily available brand of kalkwasser is Kent Marine.

mrs. wages pickling lime can also be used as kalkwasser. (because it is too) I have 1lb jar unopen for sale $5.00 plus shipping. :)

4. Reef2Keep

right on;D thanks!...I'll definitely be looking into this route, might be a good option for my tank.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I assure you alk and ca are consumed in equal parts. There can be reason for minor variances, but not major.

So you use one part calcium to one part caarbonate to make one part calcium carbonate in the coral skeleton.

The problem is you do not know how much you are actually dosing. What you are using may not be equal quantities, but if your numbers are stable, then I assure you you are dosing equal parts.

And I love two part it makes it easy to calculate..... I'm just saying it does not mean what you are doing is wrong or unbalanced. If your numbers are stable, and you are consuming equal parts, then you are dosing equal parts..... even if you are adding one tea spoon of this and one table spoon of that.

two part solutions are calculated and formulated so that one gallon of alk equals the same parts as one gallon of calcium.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

This article is very special to me right now. Thank you!

7. Reef2Keep

this is very true! I'm using two different additives from two different brands, so its no wonder that I may not be adding capful to capful. Also, I just tested CAL again and my numbers were lower than I thought....probably b/c I now have SPS in my tank and I haven't fully documented the knew rate of calcium depletion. But again, good point Powerman.

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

no problem, I'm glad I shared. :)

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

What I will say for 2 part is that if your demand increases from more stony corals.... then two part is the waty to go, just for ease of use.

I use Bulk Reef Supply recipie one. If you are using very little, then buying local of some fancy pretty package of Calcium for $20 for a small bottle is no big deal. But for anyone using more... BRS is the way to go. I got their starter pack with chemicals and bottles and dispensers for $70. That lasted a year on my 90g ca/alk/mg. BRS rocks.

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Good article. That info should be made a sticky somewhere.

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

When I dose, I wait for about 1 minute for the solution to disperse. I'm using Randy's 2 part and the Alk portion is VERY visible in the water when added. I also run a pH probe and I can see the pH shoot up to 9.0 instantly (near where I add the Alk) and drop back to 8.1 in a matter of seconds... I guess my pumps disperse the solution pretty quickly.

When I dose the Alk portion of Randy's 2 part, even with a very large dose, after the initial spike that lasts only a few seconds, I will only see the pH go back to normal or maybe up by .1 on my Milwaukee pH meter. That's not a very big swing, IMO.

I dose my Ca and Alk about 1 minute apart into a strong current in my sump. I dose Alk first, wait for the pH to return to normal, then dose the Calcium.

that's the way to do it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010