pH, Calcium Alkalinity and Magnesium.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Night-Rida, Apr 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Thank You, this helped me greatly..

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Just helped me too playing with test kits. k+

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

That is a good basic article. I used it a bit when I was beginning. Good post!

6. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I did not realize that CAL and ALK are used up equally:confused: I guess this is the big reason people like using 2-part dosing solutions.

But I'm a bit confused now... I add dkh buffer every other day to maintain my ALK around 10, however I only add calcium every so often to keep in around 420. Shouldn't I be adding CAL as often as ALK, or am I missing something? (MAG is usually around 1300-1350 but I've been raising that to 1600+ to fight byropsis)

7. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

That post was right on time. Was just trying to explain to my wife how pH, Calcium, Alkalinity and Mg. inter-act. Good post.

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

not a problem, I was looking at it as Ive been keeping my calcium levels 450-475 lately and noticed my dkh shot up to 14-15dkh. so I see thats normal per Balanced Calcium and Alkalinity Ratios.

10. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

You should either add both parts at the same time to avoid dips and spikes, or you can keep dosing as you have been, but realize that you may have dips and spikes in your method... as long as you're keeping it around your target, that is good. To keep it at your target without dips and spikes is better... ;)

that was a good article!

This one makes a good supplement to the article posted above... http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

1 person likes this.
  11. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

That makes sense. I think its time to switch to two-part dosing, especially since my levels are currently around target, and more importantly before things get out of whack.

Solid supplement article Gabba, and yours as well Night-Rida. Thx!

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You only need to add to keep your levels where you need them.... two part solutions are formulated to be equal parts.... yours may not be. You only need to suplement to replace consumption. If what you are dosing keeps your parameters where you want them then you are doing that. I use two parts.... but that does not mean yours are wrong.