PH and ALK drop!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mikeb, Aug 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What's the pH of the water after the softner?

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

OK, so the song still remains the same.... :D

I also use RO/DI water, just mixed the salt and am waiting for the sand to clear....my pH is tad over 8.....but my calcium is 450. So how does one raise just the pH? I have Kalk, but won't that also increase the Calcium?

Thanks!! ;)

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Birdlady,

I wouldn't even consider worrying about those things just yet :) Wait until after the tank goes through it's initial cycle and only then concern yourself with the water chemical levels.

In any case, and in answer to your question, there are many brands of suppliments you can buy that will raise the PH. The PH of 8 isn't that bad though and once you start to adjust the Alkalinity ( which is a much more important measure ) the PH should adjust inself to around the 8.3 mark.

A word of warning, at this early stage do not start using Kalk, you will end up with a snow storm :)

John

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

OK! I was going to pick up some LR from someone close by who is taking their tank down.....already cured ;D

Wouldn't I want the pH and Alk to be correct before adding? or no...it should be ok? If I should wait for the cycle, then I guess the 2 peppermint shrimp I was gonna grab up would be a no deal then eh? I figured, since the rock was really cured and all....

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL, If things were only that simple :)

There is every possibilty that your plan would work just fine, without any problems :) There is also a chance that the rock ( the unknown factor ) may not be as good as you think and may fowl the tank.

If it was me I would use the rock, check for Ammonia over a week and if nothing shows then get the shrimp. Just make sure you put some flake or food in the tank to feed the bacteria in the rock.

John