PH and ALK drop!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mikeb, Aug 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Hi there. I've never had a problem before with ph or alkalinity. PH was always 8.2 and alk normal. My readings today showed ph at 7.8 and alk in the "low" level (Marine Aquariums Test Lab Kit). How do I restore my old levels? The only thing I've done differently is I just started using an R/O D.I. filter for my water. Could this have anything to do with it? What are your thoughts on additves such as proper ph 8.2? Thanks in advance for any help. Mike

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Hi mike! Try this link and see if it answers some questions for you. Sorry I can't help you from experience.
    Cindy

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's it Mike. RO filters 'soften' the water a bit which is great for freshwater, but not so cool for us with salt.

This is kinda an easy to understand link on this stuff:
    http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

I use Kent Marine buffers.. they are liquid which I find easier than the SeaChem powders I used to use. Either way, most buffers are pH balanced.

[quote author=beamer link=board=ASAP;num=1093786135;start=0#1 date=08/29/04 at 10:05:15]Hi mike!  Try this link and see if it answers some questions for you. Sorry I can't help you from experience.
    Cindy[/quote]

Where's that link Cindy?  [smiley=laughingsmiley.gif]

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Ooops!  Sorry about that guys, I forgot to add the link.  [smiley=surprised.gif]This is an article by Randy Farley Holmes from RC.

Hope it helps. Matt probably solved the problem from you.

Cindy

After you click on the link look over in the left hand colums for Chemistry in the
    Aquarium and click on that
    (Randy Holmes-Farley)
    http://advancedaquarist.com/index/

6. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks for the karma Matt! :D
    Also for the link above. It answered some questions for me. I'm fixing to look up the site you gave me last nite on the red fins.

Cindy

7. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Thanks Cindy and Matt. Just got in. Will check out the links you've posted. I thought it might of had something to do with the R/O, it's the only thing I've changed. Oh well, I guess you always sacrifice one thing to gain another, such is life. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

You know, the funny thing is my house water that I was using before the R/O was from a softner system, but it never affected the ph. :huh:

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Good luck mikeb and thanks for the karma.

I know its frustrating. It seems I stay frustrated. I have a clam that looks wonderful, that is, until today. I think the surrounding polyps may be stinging it. It stays wide open all the time so I didn' think much of it until I saw part of the mantle discolored and a little limp. I've just transfered some water over to a little 10 gl tank and now I'm making new salt water to finish filling it up so I can put the clam in there until I can trim back the polyps. I don't know the best way to go about doing that. I'm afraid my aquascape may collapse. :huh:

Again good luck and keep us posted.

Cindy

11. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

[quote author=mikeb link=board=ASAP;num=1093786135;start=0#6 date=08/29/04 at 17:03:19]You know, the funny thing is my house water that I was using before the R/O was from a softner system, but it never affected the ph. :huh:[/quote]

In a water softener the calcium and magnesium ions in the water are replaced with sodium ions where a RO/DI filter removes them. I killed a few of FW plants before I figured that one out!  ::)

Ted

Oh here, I forget to stick this in.
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/question99.htm

12. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I just recently had a water softener hooked up. Should I not use that water for my tanK?:???? The water before was super hard and had a lot of silicates in it. My last 2 water changes were done using filtered rain water. I collected 30 gallons and ran a pump with some carbon for about 2 weeks before I used it. The ph was low, so I had to raise it also. I though getting the water softener would be a good thing for my tank....?