Ph 8.4 Alk 5 Calc 440. Raising alk?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Mobalized, Dec 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

This is my 90g tank, only coral was a pink lemonade frag that died in the electric shock event, a small blasto, and some mushrooms. Ph and calc looked good to me, but I'd like to bring alk up a couple dkh without changing anything else. What method would be recommended? Baking soda or just 1 part of an additive?

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If you don't want the PH to go up use baking soda. If the PH goes down and you want PH to go up use Baked baking soda.. AKA Soda Ash. With PH 8.4 I would probably mix up some baking soda and watch the PH. I'm dosing soda ash. PH swings from 8.2-8.35 through the day.... but you know your tank better than we do so really depends on what you think your tank needs.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Baking soda is the way to go. Mix it in RO/DI and slowly drip it throughout the course of a few hours. Raise it no more than 1.4 dKH/day IIRC.

5. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

you should test your mag level, if it is not in the 1350ppm -1450ppm range you will be chasing your alk and cal all over the place

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Good point. I missed that it wasn't posted. Please post results for Mag test before dosing.

7. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'll have to have it done by a lfs, I don't have magnesium kit.