PF Nano Over Flow..the over due write up

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by reefmonkey, Nov 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

If you ever find yourself with a small tank that you would like to add an over flow and sump/fuge to but can't because the glass is too thin or tempered and HOB over flow's are just to big and bulky don't fret. Eshopps has the answer at a very affordable price.
    Back in May I really wanted to add a sump to my Tetra 10 gallon HalfMoon but couldn't do it because the glass is tempered. I thought about putting in an Eshopps PF 300 but after taking some measurements decided that would just be too bulky and wouldn't look good at all. I needed a small over flow and the search I did turned up a company in CO that makes nano sized boxes at gargantuan prices. If I remember correctly it was around $130.00 + s/h. So I went with a DIY PVC over flow. If you look closely you can see Carni checking out wth I was doing. :)

It failed within a month causing a flood. It was loud and it couldn't handle the flow I wanted. If I didn't clean it thoroughly every week it would lose siphon and fail. So on a whim I contacted Louie at Eshopps and practically begged him to design one. Turns out it had just hit their drawing board and I was pulled in to one of the best experiences of my saltwater hobby/career. Louie asked me to ride along and give my ideas, thoughts, opinions and input on this project. It was a very enjoyable time that lasted nearly two months.
    Here is the end result, enjoy...
    [​IMG]
    Just like it's larger counterparts this nano OF comes with the skimmer box which is adjustable with the nylon wing nut, a 3/4" U Tube, and the overflow box is drilled for a 3/4" bulkhead that is also included.
    Out of the box my thoughts were that it is small, almost too small. This next set of pictures show the dimensions. Sorry, they are a little grainy but I was in a hurry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one I missed is of the thickness of the over flow box itself. It measures 2.5"
    Eshopps rates this over flow up to 200 GPH. I don't know what the head loss on my Odyssea 500 gph pump is. The return is 2' 8" almost straight above the pump and the throttle is wide open. Excuse the salt creep LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Eshopps PF Nano Over Flow is handling the flow flawlessly and above all else..quietly.

Thank you Louie! Thank you Eshopps for another reliable, quality product at a price we all can afford!

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Great write up Reefmonkey! K+ to you sir. I bet it was a lot of fun to have your hands in with Eshopps on this project. Awesome job

1 person likes this.
  4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Mike, how deep is the tank from the top of the bow to the wall? I'm starting to look at my 10 gallon tank and wonder if I could fit it in the space I want. What I mean, can you tell me how much space you would need between the wall and the tank back wall for this overflow and to have some working space there?

Great write up on the product. The pvc overflow was a good try though. +K

1 person likes this.
  5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thank you. It was a real good time for sure. There's a couple things I'd change now that I have it set up. It needs better adjustment or a narrower bend where it hangs. I had to temporarily use a piece of 2x4 until I can figure something else out because my tank is rimless. But I'm happy with it just the same.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You only need 3" of clearance behind the tank. It's a great little overflow, I'm impressed at how well it is handling the high flow. Thanks for the compliment on the PVC p.o.s. lol The corner of the tank it hung on is right outside my bedroom door so....yeah it was hard to fall asleep some nights LOL.

1 person likes this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Thanks for the write, congrats on being an adviser.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Nice work ReefMonkey

could you add an image of the section that sits in your tank?
    just so I can get some idea on scale and aesthetics

Steve

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No problem Steve.
    You were the first person I thought of when I was uploading to youtube.

Are there any video sharing sites that you are able to view? Vimeo perhaps?
    I sure wouldn't have a problem uploading to another site so you could view some video along with us.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Steve the skimmer box might be hard to see in the head on shot since it's black on black but here's a few shots anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Great write up - and kudos to you for being such an important part of the project! The overflow looks great!!

1 person likes this.