PEX tubing for sump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ReefPilot, Dec 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefPilot

ReefPilot Plankton

First post here on 3reef! After doing a quick search, there seems to be little discussion on using PEX tubing. Ideally I would like to use it for the majority of my upcoming 180 gallon build. Specifically as the 2 drain and 2 return lines for my sump. Obviously I would want to stick with the plastic fittings and avoid any brass or copper.

Anyone else using it?

Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hello ReefPilot and welcome to 3Reef. Pex is fine to use on your marine tank, I have not used it but my neighbor is a plumber and he uses it in homes whenever he can. Swears its easier to use, easy to work with and out lasts everything.

I like my PvC, so I'll stick with it - but PEX is perfectly reef safe. I think I heard there was some sealife or soem other marine PEX? perhaps someone else knows more.

4. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

pex is fine to use, just i would't cause it tends to leak at the joints. The joints are made by a clamping pressure and if they swilvel, they begin to leak. I see this all the time on geo's desuper heaters. Where we work on them and bump the lines and stuff. I see it splitting from pressure alot too. From a plumber stand piont it is easier and faster which translates into money, as a homeowner I would plumb a outside port-a-john with it.

5. ReefPilot

ReefPilot Plankton

Ok, thanks guys. Leaking is not an option, even a small one. I have to leave the house for weeks at a time due to work, so guess I am leaning towards PVC. Maybe some sort of flexible PVC will be the way to go.

6. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I've plumbed many a house in PEX...love the stuff...never had any leakage issues myself. That said I don't think I would use it for a tank. I always use rigid PVC...if you want something flexible you can use SpaFlex...a bit harder to find and kind of pricey is all.

I see you are in KS and I assume a pilot, LOL! I'm on the East side of KC myself and spent 15 years with a major commercial airline.

7. ReefPilot

ReefPilot Plankton

Thanks! I don't mind PVC, just hoping to use something flexible as I will have a long run to my sump located in the basement. And it is not exactly straight below the tank. Yep, I am in Kansas (Wichita). I pass through KC a lot. Any good saltwater fish store on the South side of town?