Resolved Pest?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by emu103, Dec 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. emu103

emu103 Plankton

so I bought a 24 gallon aquapod hqi yesterday. its my first tank also.

the tank has been up for 5 years according to previous owner, He did admit he has not been so interested in the tank over the last 2-3 years but never got rid of it, he just let most everything die off. A very hardy clownfish and yellow goby are the only survivors, well except for the few blue legged crabs and snail.

My problem is this however, and I assume I should be concerned considering the minor neglect the tank has seen.

At first I noticed these worm-ish things sticking out of the rocks, and assumed they were bristle worms, but soon after saw a single creature with multiple arms coming from a central body(think spider or starfish)

anyway here are some pics, can anyone identify these? there seems to be quite a few in my rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a shot of the entire body

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also many tube/worm like things attached to the rock, pictured below

[​IMG]

any Help is appreciated, I would like to know if this is cause for concern or a harmless inhabitant.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Micro brittle star(s). I'm pretty sure the last pic is a peanut worm.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

The 1st 2 pics looks to be a brissle worm,harmless filter feeder and good cuc member

the 3rd and 4th pic looks to be a brittle or serpent starfish,either way both are reef safe and a cool find

The last pic is a vermitid(sp?)snail-pest,snap them off or cover thier opening with a small amount of kalk paste,they can shoot a web out to catch food can can really irritate corals

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Oh gawd...I hardly even looked. D'Oh
    Yep vermitid.

First pic is a micro stars leg poking out of the hole it lives in. That is all you will usually see.

6. grinder37

Lol,touche' RM,after a closer look myself,i agree with you on the first 2 pics being brittles.

7. emu103

emu103 Plankton

awesome! im so relieved to find one less problem. i broke most of the vermatid off the rock, i assume that should help? after searching topics on them they dont seem so bad and evidently usually clear up by themselves

thanks guys!

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

no problem and welcome to 3reef!