Perky polyps my Green Stars are not.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by PharmrJohn, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, I am probably overreacting, but I have to ask. Below is a rock of Green Star Polyps. You will notice that I capitalize the name of the coral in blatant disregard of proper english. But that is alright. Corals are that cool. Anyway, half the rock is not responding. I have moved the rock, but the level WRT the lighting is the same. A few days ago I caught the hermit crab on the rock. He may have been grazing. The polyps look intact, just not perky. Current pic is below.

I have yet to do params. I just thought of it. I am going to post without and do them later. Thoughts? TIA. John.

[​IMG]

Edit: A week ago my params were good.

Edit: See that aphasia to the right? It is a big one that just popped up. Any natural remedies I can use to spot kill it tomorrow without taking out the GSPs?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yeah looks like he had some dinner! do they eat star polyps? my h.crabs haven't gone near mine. Mine don't look like that, either :confused:

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Joe's Juice for the aiptasia, the will spring back. I bet the aiptasia has a lot to do with it, we had some that were suppressing polyps of our own. It kills the aiptasia within minutes and doesnt harm the polyps or anything else in the tank. It took less than a day for our polyps to spring back once the aiptasia was gone.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Is the only problem you have is that the stars are not opening ? Its simple just take a old soft tooth brush and clean them off if they ever have anything to settle on them or a algae gets a grip they will not open and the cleaning will fix'em right up. There was a string here a few weeks ago same problem I told the guy the same thing then I get all the people say mine do this all the time and one guy even said yes and afterward mine get a growth spurt LOL To that I'll say Balderdash

Mine never close up and if they ever did I'd clean them.. some get worried the brush will harm them but it won't but they can try a strong powerhead first in case its just some detritus has settled on them ?

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I've read lemon juice or kalkwasser or mrs wages/h2o in a syringe I wonder if the heat produced by super glue would kill em?

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

whats interesting is that i have a huge clump of GSP, when i first got it there were probably around 10 to 15 little apstasia on it, acclimated it like i do everything, and within two days the GSP was more open than i could have imagined, the aptasia stayed on them for a good 2 weeks id say, untill i got a pepp shrimp, needles to say, it never once looked like the nems were disturbing the colony.

sorry to ramble on but how long have you had them, ive heard of GSP sometimes taking a week or more to completely acclimate, but once there adjusted boy do they flourish.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I tried lemon juice, it only worked on ther VERY small ones. I wouldnt want to be putting super glue in my reef tank, either. Go with the Joe's Juice

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hmm, maybe not all polyps disturbed by aiptasia? I have green button polyps. They did not like the aiptasia that was less than an inch from them.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I use super glue by the quarts some days in our tanks it will do nothing It's how we attach SPS corals to plugs the coral is just dirty and s for the aptasia I posted here several times a recipe to make a far better killer them Joe's Juice what I make they eat like candy them turn black and melt and poof all gone.. If my stuff can't be found here I'll bring it over from another board I hand at. All the juice is just watery kalkwasser . With these pest if you just piss it off and it breaks up all the little pieces will all become new pest.. You have to kill it all at once.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The coralline that the polyps are attached to is coming off the rock. So the toothbrush is out. A powerhead might work better, but I am a little nervous about blowing it off the rock totally. I might be able to remove it and superglue the coralline to another smaller rock and in effect frag it. I don't know.....I am just talking out my rear end right now. I know nothing about fragging.

I will try cleaning first.

Now with the AA. Where do I get Joe's Juice? Just go through Tangster or what? And what's in it?