Perfect Sump Instructions!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by PetMother, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

After much searching and many headaches later I have FINALLy found a DIY sump instructions that make sence to me!!! All I hope now is that my LFS has the pumps.

Here is the link:
    How to Build a Homemade Sump Filter for a 125 Gallon Tank | eHow.com

Mines not 125 but it should work for my 55 and save me $$$ YAY

I need to hug someone lol

2. Click Here!

3. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Acrylic will bond enough to the silicone to hold it in place when using as a sump. I used it in a 29 gallon sump that I built over 3 years ago and I am still using it.

All I did was rough up a 1/2" of the edges and ends of the acrylic, where ever it was going to contact the silicone with some pretty rough sandpaper. I also propped up the pieces that were lifted from the bottom with small pieces of acrylic on the very ends.

I do have to admit that using Double thick window glass and a plastic Report cover spline on the top and bottom edge is a whole bunch cheaper than using the 1/4 Acrylic.

If your going to use Glass do not get them "cut to Fit" make sure that all panels are cut at leasts an 1/8" short of fitting. This will give you enough room to position them and give some room for expansion.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I HATE to be a bubble burster but...

You are going to have an issue with a sump. Your tank is 12" wide. the smallest tank that would work is 12" wide. You will need to deal with all hang on stuff unless you put the sump on the side of the tank.

6. PetMother

I got glass for it.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Unless the 55 is their sump??? and I am really sure what you mean by having to use all hang on stuff??

Good, what sized tank are you using for a sump? and what thickness glass sis you get?

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The 55 is their display tank. Making it impossible to fit any size tank under it that would work as a sump. Forcing them to run a canister filter and a hang on skimmer.

10. PetMother

Its and old 20 gal and I got 1/4" for the panes.

11. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

You can build a custom acrylic for the tank... That would work. Also depends on her tank stand... It may allow for a good size tank

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Have you checked to make sure the tank will fit? if it isn't <12" it is to wide.

Considering she hasn't even responded to my post I doubt she has checked to make sure the tank will fit.