Perc Clown -- And so it begins...

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by JohnFritts, Nov 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Welp,
    I noticed my perc laid about a crap ton of eggs next to it's anenome. I'm searching for the camera but I think the kids did something with it.... (grrrr)

While I don't expect the first batch to be a full success, It's going to be a learning process!

So today is day 1.

The male is keeping my blue hippo away from the area and the female has not came out of the anenome at all today.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

If you are planning on breeding I would say everyone I know that has accomplished it has seperated the eggs into another tank and raised them that way.

Good luck and keep us informed!!

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Sounds really cool, good luck!

5. JohnFritts

Wife and I are using this as a time to learn..

We planned on moving them all today but when we woke up this morning, we found the anenome had moved to the back of the tank and the eggs are all gone. Only thing in that area was our 3 snails .

So When I get home from work later today, I'll look again and if they are no where to be found - we will move them sooner next time.

6. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

How are you going to move the eggs? Unless they're laid on a piece of glass or tile that you can move to another tank then they'll have to stay where they are. If you are planning on moving them then they should be moved the day before they hatch, not sooner to try and save them. Let the parents look after them until the day before they're due to hatch.

7. JohnFritts

Ya, that's our plan Rusty.
    We did not expect them to "act" so quickly tho. the male is still too small in my view (not even an inch) and he is way too young. However, he is a wild perc and she is a tank raised so ya never know.....

But on a side note, we are thinking of pulling those two out of the main tank and putting them in their own 15g since they are so active.

ty !

-fritts

8. Click Here!

9. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

How do you know when they're about to hatch??

10. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

They're creatures of habit. Check which day the eggs are laid, time them til they hatch, and make a note of it. Next time round it'll be the same (usually). Also you can (if you can see them) monitor the larvae inside and see them develop, and when they start to change colour you'll know the time is close.

John Fritts. Moving them to their own tank would be an idea, but you may find that they stop laying for a while (weeks or months) due to the move. We took the view that ours are obviously happy where they are and we left them there. It's harder to catch the fry when they hatch, but at least they're still spawning and hatching. ;)