Peppermint Shrimp?

Discussion in 'RARS' started by AaaRr, Sep 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Does anyone have some peppermint shrimp they would like to sell? My favorite friends aiptasia are back and are spreading quickly. I also heard that I can inject them with lemon juice with little to no affect on the tank and its inhabitants is this true?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have tried the lemon juice and it didn't do a thing to the aiptasia. Neither did peppermint shrimp for that matter ;) I say just get Joe's Juice or aiptasia X and be done with it for sure.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

AaaRr

There are options for dealing with these pest nems
    1 - Injecting vinegar - can work, but obvioulsy your adding an acid to an alkali enviroment so you need to monitor your PH
    2 - Kalwasser or Lime water paste- mix it thick like a McSlurry TM and spread that on them
    3 - Boiling water - injected into them can also work
    4 - Commercial products Aptaisia X and Joe's juice have also been reported as working well at erradicating these pests

Steve

5. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Alright thanks steve. I was not able to find any of the commercial products cause we really do not have a LFS here its just petco. I would love to just use my favorite method which is peppermint shrimp cause they always did the job for me but I have not been able to find any in town. For the Lime water paste would I be able to get that or something like that at the grocery store?

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

yes

where you are - the stuff they recomend is Mrs Wages pickling lime I believe, someone in the US should be able to tell us if I have that wrong?

Steve

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes, you can get the lime water at any grocery store. It's the pickling water. But I am not sure how you would go about making the paste out of it. Usually Kalkwasser is used to make the paste.
    You can get Joes Juice or anything like that shipped for under $10 through E-Bay as well.

8. Click Here!

9. Pens-Fan-Addict

Pens-Fan-Addict Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have several pepermints and they worked fine for small ones. however, one piece of rock that I obtained had a large one on it. I filled a 1cc syringe with a needle attached and injected calcium that I add to the tank. It worked for me, but you have to make sure you get the needle inside of it and inject very rapidly.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

10. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Ive tried the vinegar thing and it worked to a certain point, but they always came back. Ive heard mixed reviews from Joes Juice and Aiptasia-X. After thinking I was done with Aiptasia, Ive been recently blessed with a new outbreak, yipee. I just applied some Aiptasia-X, so well see how that goes.......

11. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Yeah I am going to have to break down and order something online I dont like to do that mainly cause I would rather go get it in town and have it now instead of wait the 5-6 business days. How well do you think peppermint shrimp ship? Cause I have had very good success with them in the past will I guess not to good if I am getting another outbreak... I just know they are good at their job from experience and would like to use them instead of injecting everything. Also where does 3reef recommend to buy them from? Thanks everyone for the answers.

12. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

I just posted on another site looking for a good supplier of Peppermints I will let you know if I find one, maybe we could combine shipping I am looking for a dozen or so! I have used Aiptasia X with good results. But you have to be able to reach them and I have a 200 gal tank so the ones that show up in the back are hard to get to. I will call Pet Station to see what he can do for a price, how many do you need?