peppermint shrimp killing snails?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by bailey123, Sep 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bailey123

bailey123 Plankton

Ok i have 2 peppermint shrimp that ive had for about a month now to rid my tank of aiptasia. They did a good job killing all of the aiptasia but i have had 3 snails die since i put them in there. My snails climb up the glass and fall off onto their backs quite frequently and one day i saw one flipped over with a peppermint shrimp on top picking it clean. I took the snail out and its shell was completely empty. Do you think it is the shrimp doing this or something else cause i also have a mexican turbo that never flips over and he is fine????

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Probably something else. The shrimp are probably just eating the snails after they have died.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

either that or they are actually camel back shrimp

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Not if they did a good job of eating the aiptasia. Camel Back's won't touch aiptasia

6. bailey123

bailey123 Plankton

What do you think it could be then? The only snails left are the ones who can flip themselves back over. The only things I have in the tank are the 2 shrimp and 2 snails now. My parameters are nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0, ph 8.1, calcium 460ppm, alk 11dkh.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Could be that they are flipping over and can't upright themselves. Thats enough.
    Do you have a grounding probe?

8. Click Here!

9. bailey123

bailey123 Plankton

Oh....what would be some snails that wont kill themselves or at least wont flip themselves over. No i do not have a grounding probe but i have a Ti heater that can act as a grounding probe.....should i use this?

10. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Any hermits in the tank? They will crab a helpless snail in no time if given the chance....

11. snail

snail Astrea Snail

I think the peppermint is eating them in their defenseless position.

I had a sally lightfoot and a peppermint and a pair of maroon clowns in the tank. The Sally lightfoot vanished all but one leg. No other crabs in the tank. The clowns never went near the sally lightfoot.

I saw the peppermint shrimp go after my nassarious snail once too, and the snail wasn't on his back.

12. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

What kind of snails are they? If they're astrea then I'd say the shrimp are just taking care of an easy meal. I find asstreas will die rather quickly if left on their back even if just overnight. Do you have tidal snails? You're saying they climb to the top then fall down makes me wonder if they are looking for the waterline so they can exit the water like some snails need do.