Peppermint shrimp has tumor?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Katie Grant, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

and sorry no pictures yet :( lights are off, and hes hiding under a rock somewhere

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Isopods will be on the exterior of the animal sort of like a underwater tick.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Either Isopod or egg pouch. Do you have a magnifying glass? Going to be hard to tell.

5. Katie Grant

Well its not on the outside of him. So maybe its not an isopod. I dont have a magnifying glass, which even if i did i probably wouldnt be able to use it because hes hidden somewhere in my 75g lol. BUT i do rememeber seeing others that had this same lump at the fish store. Im gonna go back today and take a picture of one and post it when i get back from work

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I believe that the picture you reference is in this article:

Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

According to that article:

Epicarids appear to be rather well-adapted parasites, and do not seem to harm their host much, in spite of their rather ghastly appearance. They may be found occasionally on the sides of all of the various shrimp imported for the hobby. They appear to be most frequently seen in peppermint shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni.

7. Katie Grant

So if it is an isopod parasite that my shrimp has, will it harm anything else in my tank? Reproduce? Will other fish inverts catch it?? If that shrimp dies is it going to find a new host?

8. Click Here!

9. Katie Grant

10. Katie Grant

so as of right now, I got the one with the isopod out of my main tank and placed him in my fuge untill tomorrow when I can get to the fish store

11. Katie Grant

12. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

on the bottom of the article you posted earlier, it said that it would most likely not be able to move to a diff host because in the younger stage it needs to host on a pod that can not survive in the aquarium. If it were me I would just leave it be.