Peppermint shrimp has tumor?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Katie Grant, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

Well today I had picked up 2 peppermint shrimp for my 75g, in hoping for them to help out with the aptasia. I was so excited. The one looks perfectly normal on the other hand the other has like a tumor/lump/bubble on the side of him below his head a little. And i did not notice it untill he was in my tank. I must have not seen it when he was in the bag due to reflections. I Just hope there isnt anything terribly wrong thats going to be bad for my tank. He seems to be doing good, not acting weird or anything, hes just got a lump on him. anyone know what this could be? Id post a pic but hes under a rock in the back of my tank:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Katie Grant

anyoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

4. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

does it look like its part of him or attached to him? same color?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Well I have no idea, but if it is looking OK and acting OK it is probably OK. It may go away when it molts.

6. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

yeah maybe something happened when he molted? it will probably go away when he molts again.

7. Katie Grant

yea its looks like its a part of him. peppermint shrimp are kinda clearish, and where the lump is its more of a solid color

8. Click Here!

9. Katie Grant

isopod parasite.. Its gotta be. man im so bummed. If it kills my shrimp what happens to the parasite?

10. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

prolly looks for another shrimp

11. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

can ya catch it? LFS shold give ya new one.....mine had a big bump under it...then gave birth to a zillion babies...the tank went wild...FREE FOOD !!.. but like what was stated before....maybe molt will fix it...what makes ya think its a isopod parasite?...I thought they just host fish?
    Picture yet?

12. Katie Grant

I read some similar threads on 3reef, someone said they had the same problem and people told them it was an isopod parasite and i looked at the pictures the other person had, and they looked kind of simlar. I might also just be paranoid and think thats what it is. It looks more like a bubble then a parasite under there. But now that I think back there was more then one that had that bump on it at the lfs, Im going back tomorrow and asking what it is.