Peppermint shrimp eating my anemone.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by deverrss, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. deverrss

deverrss Astrea Snail

yesterday i bought peppermint shrimp to kill the aiptasia in my tank and a bubble tip anemone. last night the shrimp was always behind the anemone and i didn't think nothing of it but this morning when i went to check, the shrimp was on my anemone and half of it was like shriveled up. i put the anemone a top rock and then fed it. its starting to look normal again.
    i dont get what was happening and wether or not i should get rid of the shrimp or to jst keep them.

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

are you sure its a true peppermint, not a camelback, which looks very similar. camelbacks are not reef safe.

4. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

ya peppermints have nice clean pinstripes on there body, the camels look a lil deffrent with a big hump on there back.

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

nems will shrivel up like that for various reasons.. I say the shrimp was just annoying it.
    Not a big deal. If it stays shriveled or gets worse, then I would be concerned. My sebae nem shriveled up an just kept getting worse for days. Found out the LFS was having issues with their sebae nems and had to reorder. I would keep the shrimp. They are great for aptasia.

6. deverrss

deverrss Astrea Snail

its a peppermint shrimp not a camelback.
    the anemone moved back down to the ground again and the shrimp keep moving straight for it. idk if they are trying to clean it or trying to kill it.

7. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Is you nem expelling any kind of waste? The shrimp may be eating the waste. My peppermint does that with my shrooms once in a while!

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Some shrimp will actually clean anemones (or just try to take food from their tenticles). My CBS was like that with my condy.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it could be eating it, peppermints do eat aptasia so it wouldnt suprise me if one would try to eat a bigger one. the reefsafe label doesnt cover oddballs, the shrimp dont go to a seminar that briefs them what they can and can't eat.

i think humans would fail into a non-cannablistic category, but it doesn't mean some societies or individuals have eaten human parts before.

i would just watch it more before making a decision

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I just had this problem with my peppermint. It looked more like a peppermint than a camel, but they are very similar. Mine munched on my new torch coral and ended up getting put in the sump and blended and skimmed as a result (accident).

Is he actually eating the anemone (tentacles gone / missing / floating) or just cleaning it?

12. deverrss

deverrss Astrea Snail

i called a couple fish stores and they said its jst cleaning it and i also found out my anemone is a Sebae anemone?
    the person i bought it from said it was a bubble tip but when i was searching on the interent and asked someone else about it they said it was a sebae.
    is that different from a bubble tip?