Peppermint Shrimp eating Frogspawn

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by eggerstout, Apr 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

I bought a Frogspawn the other day and after acclimating it I put it in my tank I watched it for a couple of minutes and noticed one of the peppermint shrimp start attacking it and eating the polyps, popped about 5 of them, I quickly put the 2 peppermint in my refugium. I bought the peppermints to take care of the aiptaisa in the tank I had a lot, and theres probably a couple of small ones left, do I risk putting the peppermints back in the display and eating the frogspawn. Has anyone ever heard of peppermints eating frogspawn or any other soft corals. Thanks for the help in advance

Not the latest video but pretty new

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Never heard of that, But I guess anything can happen with Mother Nature. Next time you bust out the video camera, try going a little slower, I got motion sickness.:cheesy:

4. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

the video is from March 9th, a lot has changed since then, time to make a new one

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You sure its a peppermint and not a camel back ? You'd not be the first to have made that mistake

6. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

positive they are peppermint

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have to yet ever see a peppermint to harm a coral of any type.. And you are 100% positive its not a camel back ? Its really hard to tell sometimes even I have gotten them mixed up before ): Not all of the Camel Back have a really pronounced hump in their back.. But then maybe you got the peppermint that rode the short shrimp bus to shrimp school ? It happens I am sure ..I have seen about everything to eat everything over the yrs in this hobby..

8. Click Here!

9. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

Yeah I'm 100% sure I have peppermints I even tried to make sure they were , Lysmata wurdemanni and not the peppermints from the pacific, I was like wtf when I saw the peppermint just attacking the frogspawn, I haven't had any problems with the xenia and green zoos being attacked and eaten. I'm think I'm going to put the peppermints one at a time back into the display and keep a close eye on them for awhile.

10. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

ok in your vid i never saw any pep shrim just a cleaner

also i have personaly never heard of peps eating any healthy corals and beeing as you had just added it there is a possibility it had some dead tenticals on it or was sick and the pep was just doing its job cleaning up

i would use extreem caution in reintroducing them to the main tank

11. allenazali

allenazali Plankton

I saw my Peppermint Shrimp eating my purple tipped Frogspawn like cotton candy.

12. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

lol gotta love mother nature, just when we have our reef's figured out somethign always happens!

also if they have done it once there gonna do it again, maybe not now but sometime later, i wouldnt risk it. I had a valentini puffer that never ate my corals then one day he dined on a chalice and started goign nuts eating all my hard sps corals. Well needless to say his *** went back to the lfs, this was literally over 6 months. So take them back and try 2 new peps!