peppermint shrimp devoured my acan

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by droopymatt, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

it took out about 80% of the flesh, it was about an inch and a half frag. ive pulled the shrimp and put it in my qt, but i need to know if there is anything i can do to save my frag? help please its my most valued piece...

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Just keep that shrimp away and keep the water parameters good.

Are you sure you didn't have a camel shrimp - Google Search Vs having a peppermint shrimp - Google Search

As you can see, they look very similar and I've seen them mislabeled before. Camel shrimp are never reef safe while peppermints usually are reef safe.

4. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

def a peppermint shrimp

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It depends how badly he injured the frag. I've had acans die like that, but also have had several come back. It all depends on what's left.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Peppermint shrimp turned on my mini anemones and ate 3 in about 24 hours. They did eat all the aiptasia and then began to pick on my LPS, and they had plenty of other food to eat.

7. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

same thing here, well fed, but just decided to go crazy on my acan while i was at work

8. Click Here!

9. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 Thing almost destroyed a frogspawn head.

10. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!!! The one that did it the first time ultimatly died and i went without a peppermint for 9 months, just got this guy three weeks ago and he DEVOURED 80% OF THE SAME CORAL ARGHHHHH!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry: This time it was enough to poison the little thing cause i found him dead in the rocks...Ill post a pic of the devoured acan shortly but has anyone EVER experienced something like this with peppermint shrimp?

11. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Apparently you missed the 4-5 other people in this thread who have had peppermints eat coral. I will not own another peppermint shrimp due to the one eating my frogspawn.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Probably should have learned.

Sent from my Evo

12. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

yeah, i knew better but dang it lol:-/