Pep Shrimp Murdered my new Acan

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Aqualung, Oct 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I've been trying to catch this pep shrimp.. ate some of my birdsnest polyps.. almost killed my candycane.. saw him first hand picking at it. My trumpet was looking bad yesterday.. only half of it of course.. So this little sob is liek sampling all my coral it seems. Came home after a 15 hour day.. looked in the tank and saw my peppermint shrimp ripping at my new acan frag.. A couple polyps made it, but the others their centers look ripped out and I can see skeleton.. will they make a recovery or are they gonners? Heres a pic of what they looke like yesterday. :(:(:(:-/

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      368.7 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

BTW will hermits eat them, too?

4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

looks like they will be fine to me, add some interceptor lol will kill all ur inverst but hey lol

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

That's actually before.. their centers are missing and I can see bone.. I'll take a pic tomorrow

6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

sux, hope my peppermint doesnt start acting a fool

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

BTW I made a trap.. I got the small one out, but the big one, who's the main culprit is now afraid of the bottle.. I used a 20 oz bottle.. cut off the top and inverted it.. I have some mysis shrimp in it and pellet.. other ideas?

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

cook the lil one in front of the tank for the big one to see.....this should scare him to being good

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Typically peppermint shrimp are perfect reef citizens. But you can get 1 if you are very unlucky that eats corals that were not already on their way out.
    Usually peps are mistaken for killing a coral, when in fact the coral was dieing anyway, but i have seen 1 person in our club that had a peppermint go after a healthy frowspawn.

One other thing is that LFS's a lot of times will sell camel shrimp as peppermints. And Camels are not reef safe.

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

sure does.. I have always wanted an acan frag.. but they were so expensive.. finally get one and two days later this. I got that frag for 20$.. it had seven small heads..I think two are still there..