"Pemuteran" - Coral Restoration

Discussion in 'Coral' started by omard, Nov 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Pemuteran Coral Restoration Project​

"Mineral Accretion Technology"

(BioRock Technology)

[​IMG]

"Pemuteran" is a small fishing village on the Northeast side of the island, Bali, Indonesia, located about as far away as one can get from the crowded, urban population centers of the South (Denpasar, etc.)

Over several years of visiting I have wittnessed the development of an amazing coral restoration project that is being carried out there. It using a technology which I believe is being overlooked by most coral propagators here in the US.

I would be quite easy to duplicate in any small coral propagation'growing activity.

The project involves the running of a low voltage current out to large man-made rebar structures out in water that have been "seeded" with coral frags.

The speed of growth of these corals is nothing short of spectacular. In just a couple of years, an amazing and beautiful artificial reef has quickly been developed in an area that was nearly a coral dead zone previously. (Due to high temp coral bleaching during El Nino years.)

What is a "BioRock Reef?"

"...Biorock technology applies a safe low-voltage electrical current through seawater, causing dissolved minerals to precipitate onto cathodic surfaces growing into white limestone/brucite structures similar to those that make up coral reefs and nourish tropical white sand beaches. Biorock methods speed up coral growth even where excessive temperatures, pollution, sedimentation and other stress-inducing factors have damaged reefs and other marine habitats..."

[/CENTER]

The Most Unique Reef in South-East Asia

(Scuba Diver Magazine - February 2004)

"...There are no other coral reefs quite like it and it is nothinglike anything else you have seen before underwater. In theshallow bay 45 specially built steel contraptions in the shapesof caterpillars, Mexican hats, Eiffel towers, sugar loafs andtunnels are the rehabilitation platforms for broken corals.My first impression was that of an underwater educationaltheme park, a Disneyland coral reef, a new-age reef system!This unique reef system is the brain-child of scientists ProfessorWolf Hilbertz and Dr Tom Goreau.Artificial reef construction by means of mineral accretion,also known as “third generation” artificial reef systems (firstreported in Asian Geographic in 2001), is a novel technologywhich uses electricity to “grow” limestone rock on artificialreef frames and increase growth rates of corals and otherreef organisms. Two electrodes supplied with low-voltagedirect current are submerged in seawater.Electrolytic reactions at the cathode cause minerals naturallypresent in seawater to build up. At the same time a widerange of organisms on or near the growing substrate areaffected by electrochemically-changed conditions, shiftingtheir growth rates.Stray or loose living corals are carefully collected from nearbydestroyed reefs and transplanted onto the structures. Theyare attached with wires or wedged between steel bars. Thesecoral bits are quickly cemented into place by the growingminerals forming over the structure’s surface; the reefs areelectronically charged to grow..."

Biorock Technology

Since 1988, Prof. Wolf H.Hilbertz, and Coral Ecologist, Dr. Thomas J. Goreau, of the Global Coral Reef Alliance, have collaborated in research and development of Biorock with a focus on coral propagation, preservation of corals, coral reef restoration, shore protection structures, and mariculture.
    Demonstration projects conducted at number of locations around the world have involved the grafting of salvaged coral fragments to Biorock Reef Structures.

Enhanced growth rates of the salvaged corals were monitored and documented.

Survival of corals on Biorock Reef Structures exceeded the survival of corals on adjacent natural coral reef formations under severely degrading environmental conditions.

Biorock Reef Structures immediately became integrated, living parts of their marine environment, providing additional substrata available and conducive to further natural settlement of wild corals.

Biorock Reef Structures have been termed "Coral Arks", which ultimately hold promise to augment repopulating of corals on natural reefs that have suffered degradation and devastation from numerous human related and natural causes.

Would be cool if someone here at 3Reef would give it a try and let the rest of us know how well it works...(or keep it a secret & get rich...::))

(Just for Fun)

;D

(Sailing Bali Style - 2005)

:idea2:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Hey Omard, very interesting....Thank you8)

4. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Very cool , im waiting for the great barrier reef society to call on us to give some back .. They are starting it next year i think in parts that are dying off due to bleaching etc ... A very good thing...:) karma for you

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Cool Scott. I remember reading that in SCUBA. is there other articles I could read?

J

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Surprisingly few that I could find. :confused:

Used to have some brochures around here that gave a bit more detail. If I can turn up, will be happy to send them to you...

Some great pics of in:

Scubazoo "Reef"​

Coral reefs are often called "the rainforests of the sea" because of the quantity and diversity of life they support, and because they are highly sensitive and threatened ecosystems. Building on the success of DK’s Rainforest, this unique pictorial celebration of the worlds reefs progresses through an ecological chain that goes from algae, sponges, and mollusks to the thousands of fishes that make their homes there. This vivid collection of photographs, from underwater photography collective Scubazoo, reveals reefs as they’ve never been seen before.

Scubazoo is a dedicated team of divers, photographers, marine biologists, and conservationists, who have devoted their lives to the filming and preservation of reefs worldwide. Their work includes filming for productions broadcast on National Geographic, Discovery, Animal Planet, BBC, and NBC News. The group is based in Sabah, on the island of Borneo. Scubazoo works with the World Wildlife Fund, Greenpeace International, the Reef Environmental Education Fund, and the Shark Trust.

-Features reefs worldwide, from Southeast Asia to the Red Sea and Hawaii
    -Captions identify plant and animal life and quotes give additional background information
    -Photographic narratives demonstrate how reefs live/die, and how creatures depend on them
    -Published in cooperation with the American Museum of Natural History

Sales of this book support the Coral Reef Alliance The Coral Reef Alliance - Home
    [/COLOR]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have read about this before.. the electrical approach is very interesting.
    It makes me wonder about the merit of grounding probes in our tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Thanks for sharing this valuable info... :)

Hmmm... One would have to scale down the system accordingly and adjust the voltages. I think it's possible...

Any volunteers ?! :-/

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I wonder what the voltage is? My fish twitch without the probe, but everything else seemed ok, before I put it in.....

11. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Tiny shock a day keeps the doctor away ;D

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I think a small trickle DC charger 6~9 volts (like those for cell phones, printers etc.) run out to some chicken wire with a couple of small frags attached to it would be great for a test --- of course have a couple of non-electrified frags nearby to use for a standard.

I am tanked up, and major typhoon would erupt in house if another was to appear within 100 yards of my property. :p

One you guys/gals with more space and a more understanding spouse can give it a try. ;D