Resolved Peculiar Protozoa

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by kashbrook, Mar 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kashbrook

kashbrook Plankton

I've had my 50 gallon tank running for a little over two months now and the only occupant presently is a hermit crab (and two live rock). I am using a Fluval 305, Remora protein skimmer, and two 15 watt 50/50 lights at least until another 8 months for my first coral. PH is at 8.2, temp 76F, Spec gravity 1.022, no measurable ammonia, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 0 ppm.
    I noticed some peculiar star-shaped microscopic creatures that are overrunning my 50 gallon display tank. I believe they came from a Fiji rock, but I can't know for sure. I need to know if they are beneficial, safe or harmful. I've attached a picture that I apologize I couldn't get a better shot off. Wish I could afford a camera with a macro-lens

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

They are hydroids (jellyfish). They are not beneficial and could possible sting your hand and corals. But there are conflicting accounts on how harmful these guys really are.

4. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

+ 1 on the above!

K

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

As stated above, they are a hydrozoan vs a protozoan. They are quite common in newer tanks. Your filtration, water moving equipment will kill most of them without you even doing anything. A magnet cleaner or glass wipe just to see into your tank will kill the majority of the rest. Very rarely do they ever leave the medusa stage and then later become Millepora or Stylaster (which are called lace or fire corals, but are not corals). Note that at this stage, you cannot tell what species your hydroids are from unless you're a marine biologist. On occasion, you'll have a species that might make it to the medusa stage and become a jellyfish which you might be lucky enough to see for the day or two before it's eaten by a fish or killed by your filtration.

If you do get one particular species of colonial hydroid growing on your rock and not your glass, pictured here Reefkeeping.com - Image nuke those with Kalk paste. They reproduce rapidly and sting corals, fish, and you. In fact, all species of hydrozoans can sting you. People actually pay money for fire and lace corals and many species of colonial hydroids are equally pretty......just only touch it if you're wearing nitrile or latex gloves.

6. kashbrook

kashbrook Plankton

Thank you!

I am amazed at how quickly and accurately you have both responded. Thank you Inwall75, ReefWizard and Kiarah. I do have a magnetic cleaner and have proceeded in cleaning the glass. I have perused my display tank and have spotted a few of these 'jellies' on shells, but I think they will be picked off by my firefish (nemateleotris magnifica), once I place them in. The pair are presently in quarantine to make sure they are okay. I just didn't want them to contract a disease. ;D

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You're more than welcome. Glad to have you here at 3Reef!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

when i first started my tank i had hundreds upon hundreds of them... i would clean them off and they would just stick back on. its really cool to watch the snails run into them they avoid them like the plauge once they hit one.