Peat Filtering Question

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Birchell, Nov 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Hey guys,

I was woundering if anyone out there is running peat filtering?? I just stated a few days ago, and thought of a few questions. How long does it take to turn the water fully amber, or black?? And how much does it take to really do any good. I have it going right now, but didnt put much in the bags. My water out of the tap is about 7.9 PH, and 250 ppm hardness. Im not really in this to soften the water to much, for one thing my water is to hard anyway, I just want the angel/ discus tank to look more like a black water tank. My water is turning kinda gold, but has only been going for 2 days. I have noticed the discus and angels are eating more, and showing better colors. Im not sure if it is from the peat, but something is triggering this respons. Pics would also be great, :),

Michael

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I breed Discus and angles and about any tetra there is back as a kid . Just add more Peat moss until you get to where you want it to be also a tea bag does a great job for adding the Tannin's to the water if its the look you want .. But you can't add to much might want to also get some Sodium phosphates to add to the tanks to soften the water and about 1 Tsp or 5 mi of unidolized table salt to 20 gals of tank water to help soften it up a bit more also will help ward off the discus disease The name escapes me now.. I used to use about 2 cups of peat moss per 50 gals of water to get them to spawn. Once you get to the color of water you want then pull it and remove about 1/2 of the Moss you will have to make adjustments as the make up water determins the amount that is needed. If you use the R/O water then you will be better off hardwater is hard on these types of fish. No pun intended :) But you can't add to much moss to harm anything..

4. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Thanks,
    The peat is going good for me. Hopefull the discus will mature nicely.

Michael