PCs to T-5

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Covey, Aug 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I am in the process of setting my first reef tank it is going to be around 30g t0 65g, 36 " long. I have pc lighting on my freashwater plant tank and really like them but I was thinking of going T-5 on the reef. Problem is what wattage in T-5 HO equals what in PC? I have a 48" 130W JBL what would a equal light output in T-5s. There is so many opions in T-5. 2, 4, even 8 light combo so I don't know what to get. What do you think?

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't know how true this is but I have been looking at t-5s myself...   I read that a 54 watt T-5 has 3x the light output of a 96 watt PC or a 110 VHO.  This is hear say and I don't know how valid it is.   :-/It seems like thats kinda high to me almost a 6 to 1 ratio on to the PC's :-/.

I would be interested to here more about this also.

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Yeah that sounds a bit high. It probaly the marketing department. If that was true what is the point of 8 T-5s.
    Tanning? ;D

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Anyone out there have a solid spec? As far as what you need for reef lighting I'm not sure. I think if you want SPS you need MH?????????

6. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

You can do sps with PC, VHOs, and T5's as long as the tank is lit bright enough. For those that doubt(not saying you do somethingfishy) this is my old tank for while back that was lit by vhos  www.geocities.com/z28shawn/home.html

I know if you want the T5's to work like they should you need to use the special reflector on each bulb. I fI can find some good info i will post it.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was going to get one of the complete lights and not a retro. The reflector does seem pretty important on T-5

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I'll throw in my opinion. On a 30 gallon you should go 4 T-5's and on a 65 go for 8. This advice is based on a tank with mainly softies and a few LPS. Shawnz is right about the growing SPS thing, but it would require a ridiculous amount of bulbs to get enough intensity. If I were in your shoes I would go VHO, but i'm not in your shoes. What kind of corals are you planning on keeping?

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Yeah I wasn't going to go sps anytime soon. This will be my first reef

11. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

The softies would be ok with a 4 bulb. The LPS would do better under the 8 bulb.

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Thank you I have been trying to get a answer about T-5 for weeks now I don't think anyone know much about them.