PC Lighting vs MH Lighting?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by gamma, Mar 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Ok, I'm a newbie to all this and am still in the process of purchasing all my equipment. I currently have on order w/ my LFS a 120g acrylic 4x2x2. The dealer sold me PC lighting, but now I hear that I should go to MH lighting if I want to have eventually want to have corals and clams. I've heard that I can get by w/ the PC lighting. I haven't p/u any of the equipment yet, so I'm still in a position to change my order to MH if I want to.

Which system would be best for my setup?
    Are there any particular models or brand names I should look into?
    Do I need it to be retrofit if I'm using a canopy?
    What's the diff between eballast, electric ballast & just a ballast?

endless questions...(is there a limit to how many questions I can ask)

:-/confused,

GaMma

2. Click Here!

3. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I just upgraded from PC (4x96) to MH (2x175)+VHO (2x95) and the difference is amazing, no comparision. One main reason for my upgrade was to get a clam.

4. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

I'm almost positive that's what I have the PC (4x96w). What was the price difference between the 2 systems?

5. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I think around $400 for PC and $599.99 for MH/VHO. That was from my LFS, which is a good price.

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

7. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

I think I paid just under $400 for mine. I noticed that there are several diff ver's: MH only, MH & STD, MH & VHO, MH & PC. Which ver would be adequate for my setup, what would be the most ideal? Also, I really don't want to upgrade down the line so what should I go with? Also, if my tank is 4' is it normal to get 3' lighting or 4'?

GaMmA

8. Click Here!

9. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

With your size of tank, I think dual 175W or 250W MH and Dual VHO 95W would be good. My tank is only 65 Gallon but deeper then yours and my 175 W (10K) are doing great. Big question is, do you have a budget on lighting? Aslo some may argue MH 175W is not strong enough for my tank.

10. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

well i knew going into this hobby wasn't going to be cheap. i've already dropped close to $400 on lighting. If everyone says I should go w/ MH lighting for corals & clams, then I'd rather spend the $$$ now than wait a yr or 2 later and spend another $600.

Now w/ ballasts, using the rule of thumb of 3 watts/gallon that puts me at 360W. Does that mean I should go w/ the 400W ballast or am I ok w/ the 250W?

Also, what about bulbs: 10,000K, 12,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K??? What's the difference? Brightness, color?

Will I need the retrofit model since I have a canopy?

GaMmA

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

For your tank I would go with two 250 watt, 10,000k MH lights. Make sure you get electric ballasts, much better than probe or pulse ballasts. 10,000k lighting is a crisp white and very clean looking. You can always change the Kelvin rating of your bulbs as long as they are rated for 250 watts and compatible with your electric ballast.

HTH

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Remember it is not watts per gallon but intensity measured in PAR values.  MH is way better than flourescents for intensity sufficient to get through the water column to the sand bed.